• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming an older bird

goodguykoss

Checking out the neighborhood
So my wife and I got a cute cockatiel about 3 months ago. We made the mistake of getting him from a pet store, so we don’t think he was treated very well, and we think they may have lied about his age. They said he was 5 months, which I’ve learned is still a bit old to be trying to tame a bird. We’ve made very slight progress with him, he’ll eat millet from our hands and he’ll let us pet his head while he’s eating millet, but otherwise he just nips at us if our hands are anywhere close. I’m partially looking for encouragement... will he ever be as comfortable with us as a bird that was socialized from a young age? I don’t care if it takes a long time to train him, I just want to know that it will pay off eventually. I want a bird that will interact and connect with me even when I’m not holding millet.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I worked with 8 male cockatiels who were 15-20 years old who'd been neglected and with the right amount of positive association, they all learned that I wasn't so bad. There is no age limit for learning.
My bird was 21 when I got him and he was terrified of everyone who wasn't me; now he's a clown and friendly to just about everyone. It just takes letting them calm down and learn that you supply the goodies :D

Patience will take you far with birds. He may not like scritches but if you make interacting with you safe, he'll be lovely. He might always be a hands off bird; it depends on who he grows up to be. Let him open up to you, 3 months is nothing for these guys.

What's his name?

Last edited:

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
There are many people who get birds that are from rehomes, pet stores or other bad situations. At 5-months old or even a year your bird is not older. Please remember that tiels live a couple of decades at least. The best place to start is with previous members experiences as several people have dealt with birbs that were not exactly what they expected. Unfortunately it happens all to often especially with pet stores where it is about money sadly. A little time & a lot of patience and I’m sure it will work out well for you. Welcome & good luck! :) Help needed with taming! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Time and patience. :) Since we don't really know your bird's age it's hard to say exactly but baby birds also go through a period where they start testing boundaries, etc. That could also be contributing to what you're going through.