• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming Advice For Fischers

StormRyder360

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
So last November I adopted two young Fischers. They're the first lovies I've ever owned, and they make me laugh constantly. My only concern is that they're completely untamed.

When I walk past the cage they just fly to the back of it, and they'll start making alarm calls. I've tried talking to them calmly, dropping treats in a dish as I go past, not making eye contact with them and trying not to startle them.

They have a big cage which is close to 5.5ft tall, with lots of space for them, lots of toys and natural perches. They do fly about, climb, and play, so I'm sure they're not stressed out.

They get a lot of time out of their cage, and will happily fly around and play together. It's rare, but sometimes they will land on the curtains behind me and will watch me and chirp at me. I don't know if that's good?

The cage is in the living room, and if I just sit next to the cage when they're in it, and talk them or do anything like watch TV or read a book, they'll be fine with it after about 15 minutes. But that's about it. I've been doing this since I've gotten them and I haven't made any other progress.

I don't mind if they're not hand tame, I just want them to be tame enough that I can safely take them to a vet for health checks and so on.

Here's a photo of them when I first got them. They don't have any dowel perchs now. They're called Bounce and Rio.

Attachments

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Were these birds handfed? It will be harder to "tame" them if they are always together, would have been easier when they were younger. If you do want to bond with them it would be best to work with them one on one at this point because you won't be able to keep their focus. Their focus will be on each other.

StormRyder360

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Were these birds handfed? It will be harder to "tame" them if they are always together, would have been easier when they were younger. If you do want to bond with them it would be best to work with them one on one at this point because you won't be able to keep their focus. Their focus will be on each other.
From what I know, they were parent raised in an aviary. The owner let them all breed out of control and ended up calling an animal rescue for help because he couldn't cope with how many he had. And that's how I got my two. I'm not sure of their age, but the rescue thought they were a few months old. They don't have leg rings so I don't have a way to check and be certain.

Would you suggest I separate them into two smaller cages then?

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
From what I know, they were parent raised in an aviary. The owner let them all breed out of control and ended up calling an animal rescue for help because he couldn't cope with how many he had. And that's how I got my two. I'm not sure of their age, but the rescue thought they were a few months old. They don't have leg rings so I don't have a way to check and be certain.

Would you suggest I separate them into two smaller cages then?
Leg bands are useless unless the breeder registers them to a database, most breeders just use them for their own purposes to keep track of the hordes of babies they may have.

Are they sexed? If they are male and female, are you prepared for babies if they end up having babies down the road? I know you mentioned that these are your first lovebirds, so I assume you have other bird experience? If not, I would probably suggest caging them separately if you want to attempt a bond with them but it is entirely possible to work with them when caged together. It will be more challenging and you would have to take them out one at a time. If you do not have them sexed, do not want babies and do not want to abort the eggs then definitely cage them separately.

Last edited:

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Do you know how long they have been together for? I think separating them would cause them a great deal of stress since they look to be bonded to each other.

Also, there are ways to discourage egg laying if they are a true male and female pair without separating them permanently. Don't provide them with a nest box or anything else that might resemble a nest and you can also change their light cycle.

I would suggest starting at the beginning so getting them use to you being around them. Then maybe move on to feeding them treats through the cage bars. Then you can move on to opening the cage door and having them taking it directly from your hand. Do you know what there favorite treat it?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
You could try a mini trial, if you have a smaller cage around ? Or in some way to see how they react when not with the other. My linnies are untamed for this exact reason and still I haven't tried to separate them. I feel irrationally bad.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I agree with Maha, If they are bonded, don´t split them. But like Brian said, to work with them you must take one away to another room.
I have a young bonded pair, they are ¨tame¨, but I still take one off away with me to the bedroom for a little one on one time to keep the relationship good between us.

When it comes to eggs, some people are a little reluctant to destroy eggs. So for those people the only choice is to splt the birds in a double cage.
But going back to the first point, if they are bonded, that is not a great solution. The best thing is to meet your birds needs and should they be M F and should they lay, then to do what is right by the bird; destroy the eggs.

Like Maha says, there are ways to reduce egg laying, but there is no way to stop them permanently. Inevitably they will lay an egg sooner or later.

Key ways to reduce egg laying; no nest boxes, no nesty material, 13 hours darkness per night, rearranging cage setup weekly including food and water bowls, plenty of foraging.

StormRyder360

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Do you know how long they have been together for? I think separating them would cause them a great deal of stress since they look to be bonded to each other.

Also, there are ways to discourage egg laying if they are a true male and female pair without separating them permanently. Don't provide them with a nest box or anything else that might resemble a nest and you can also change their light cycle.

I would suggest starting at the beginning so getting them use to you being around them. Then maybe move on to feeding them treats through the cage bars. Then you can move on to opening the cage door and having them taking it directly from your hand. Do you know what there favorite treat it?
I'm pretty certain they've been together their whole lives. I have no idea what gender they are. Which is part of the reason I want to be able to take them to a vet, so I can have them dna sexed. They are very bonded to each other, but I've never seen any mating attempts or seen them preening anything except for their heads.

I would really be reluctant to separate them because as you said, obviously it would stress them out so much.

They don't have any nest boxes or tents/tunnels or anything like that. I definitely don't want to breed them if they are a male/female pair. Partly because I've never been interested in it, but mainly because I can't be certain that they're not super inbred or anything.

Oh and their favourite treat is an almond. They don't use their feet to hold it, so they'll just shove it straight into their beaks and try to eat it that way. Very messy but funny to watch.

Last edited:

StormRyder360

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Leg bands are useless unless the breeder registers them to a database, most breeders just use them for their own purposes to keep track of the hordes of babies they may have.

Are they sexed? If they are male and female, are you prepared for babies if they end up having babies down the road? I know you mentioned that these are your first lovebirds, so I assume you have other bird experience? If not, I would probably suggest caging them separately if you want to attempt a bond with them but it is entirely possible to work with them when caged together. It will be more challenging and you would have to take them out one at a time. If you do not have them sexed, do not want babies and do not want to abort the eggs then definitely cage them separately.
They're not sexed unfortunately. Which is part of the reason I want to be able to take them to a vet. I definitely don't want babies, so I would freeze any eggs. They don't have anything to nest with as I definitely don't want to encourage it, just in case.

I used to a have an elderly rescued cockatiel, which was my first rescue parrot. (He passed away about 3 years ago) He was really neglected by his old owners and so he was super defensive and was a biter/screamer for a long time. His old owners used to throw things at his cage to make him stop screaming.

He was terrified of people and would start screaming if he saw someone pick something up. He did eventually calm down and he got a lot better. He was never particularly tame, he wouldn't let me hold him or touch him, but I could move him on a perch and get close to him. (When he allowed it lol) He loved to creep up on guests and jump on them, then bite them till they bled, or scream in their ear and scare them. He would laugh afterwards. So we used to have to really watch him haha.

I still miss that fussy, grumpy old monster!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Oh and their favourite treat is an almond. They don't use their feet to hold it, so they'll just shove it straight into their beaks and try to eat it that way. Very messy but funny to watch.
Use the back of a spoon to smash the almond, then use one little piece as a treat ;)

I definitely don't want babies, so I would freeze any eggs.
Don´t freeze them. Boil them or if you have dummy eggs, just smash them.

I´m sorry for the loss of your cockatiel

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Lovebirds dont use their feet to hold stuff, at least I have never seen any. Loki likes to get the pistachios out of the shell. They don't need the nuts but its a fun treat for them.

StormRyder360

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Lovebirds dont use their feet to hold stuff, at least I have never seen any. Loki likes to get the pistachios out of the shell. They don't need the nuts but its a fun treat for them.
I've tried giving them pistachios in the shell. They acted like I'd given them a snake o_O wouldn't touch it! Eventually they did pick one up... And immediately threw it. :facepalm: Birds can be so fussy about the smallest things

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I've tried giving them pistachios in the shell. They acted like I'd given them a snake o_O wouldn't touch it! Eventually they did pick one up... And immediately threw it. :facepalm: Birds can be so fussy about the smallest things
Everything new, they have to be convinced it's safe! My lovebird is still afraid of the scale, and this nice manzanita branch I got for her...

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Lovebirds dont use their feet to hold stuff
Yes, it is rare that a love bird will use feet to hold food.

My hen Adelie loves to lay on her back and hold a kitty ball in her feet and lift it up and down - too cute. My others use beaks to play.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Yes, it is rare that a love bird will use feet to hold food.

My hen Adelie loves to lay on her back and hold a kitty ball in her feet and lift it up and down - too cute. My others use beaks to play.
The only time Loki will hold something like a stick is when she is cuddling with me, push her side and I tip her over like a cow. She just stares at me like really dad? She doesnt like being on her back much unless she is holding onto my finger.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I've tried giving them pistachios in the shell.
Sit and eat them when the birds are watching. Then offer them one. Best doing it out of cage the first time.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@Zara you need to catch Adélie with her ball on video!

Trying to tip Aoife like a cow would not go over well.... She's very strong willed!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Also @StormRyder360, Zara has posted previously a cage that is a single cage but has a divider. Should you want to separate but not totally, it's a great middle ground.