• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

taming 2 cockateils

emzymayzy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Hello every one I am close to buying 2 new male cockatiels next week I'm soo excited but they are untamed and I'm not sure on their ages if they are a year will it still be possible to tame them both? or should I look for others else where. also how do you tame 2 untamed cockatiels at once is it hard?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Generally if they are housed in the same cage they rely on each other and not the human. You can always try teaching then separately, its not impossible. Remember the first step is to build trust.

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Generally if they are housed in the same cage they rely on each other and not the human. You can always try teaching then separately, its not impossible. Remember the first step is to build trust.
I have a little cage can I try to take one at a time and tame it in my bed room and take it out after training sessions I'm guessing the first step is for them to take millet from me

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you try to separate them all it will do is cause anxiety between them. They're only concern will be, where is the other. They will never be cuddly simply because cockateels are not like that.

As Dee mentioned the first order of business is just gaining both of their trusts. It's not quick and it's not easy but it never is with any parrot.

This always boils down to your husbandry skills and the environment you provide.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The definition of tame in this situation would be that those birds flew to you to accept food or some attention and then left when they chose. It will more than likely be a "hands off" relationship.

Last edited:

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
The definition of tame in this situation would be that those birds flew to you to accept food or some attention and then left when they chose. It will more than likely be a "hands off" relationship.
Thank you @JLcribber. That is fine i don't need a relationship with them 100% that is clingy or need my attention where they start screaming all the time i want them to enjoy each other and enjoy getting spoilt and me sitting around them and loads of millet

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have 4 cockitiels that live in a good size cage-they are paired up and respect each others territory. Are they friendly hand held birds-no. Do they trust me to put my hands in the cage to do what I need to do w/o getting all flighty and acting crazy? yes but it took a while to get to that point-they had to get to know me and realize I was there to give them their daily needs-they are happy and I am content that they are playful healthy happy birds. They all respond to their names and love when I just visit w/ them.

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
I have 4 cockitiels that live in a good size cage-they are paired up and respect each others territory. Are they friendly hand held birds-no. Do they trust me to put my hands in the cage to do what I need to do w/o getting all flighty and acting crazy? yes but it took a while to get to that point-they had to get to know me and realize I was there to give them their daily needs-they are happy and I am content that they are playful healthy happy birds. They all respond to their names and love when I just visit w/ them.
Thank you all advice is good im sooo excited im cant sleep were you like this when you got yours i feel soo sad being this excited but i cant help it