• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tame Finches

Lydia Deetz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
I know that most finches aren't hand-raised and as a result are rarely tame. Why is that? Why aren't finches hand-raised often?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They are very difficult to hand feed, and require much more frequent feedings than most parrots. Also, there is a very high mortality rate.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
They're very small and the process is more time consuming to do properly. However, Java sparrows are hand raised regularly in huge numbers for the pet trade in Japan. I have two tame Javas which were socialized as young adults. They step up, are not fearful of people at all, and are easily handleable but because they were not imprinted they are not really affectionate with me. I also have society finches which will come fly to me for food, though they become wilder again without daily effort, and I have lapsed in working with them.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Yep, if you hand raise them they imprint and bond, otherwise they are normal finches. We raised a Baby House finch a crow was trying to eat on our roof we rescued. She of course bonded so we kept her and she was quite happy living with us and would land on a offered finger or fly over to steal food and drink. She loved to site on my mouse hand and fall asleep while I was online and sit on my hat and try to peck and preen my eye lashes and like that. Finches are even smaller so I could see the issues trying to feed them but we got lucky with Beeper, we just stuffed her full of baby parrot formula when she screamed and she did fine even with our lack of training.