• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Talk Reality To Me

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Several weeks ago I lost my green cheek conure, who was supposed to be my last companion bird. I had pretty much decided to get a hand fed baby budgie because of my current age (78) . But now I have the possibility of getting a 3 year old female Indian ringneck who is reportedly tame, sweet, and pretty quiet. I have never met a ringneck but am attracted to them, based solely on videos. The BIG question...if she lived to be 25, I'd be 100! My mother did live to 102, my grandmother to almost 101, and my great great grandmother to 100 so I have a good chance of making 100. But it's not a sure thing. Should I risk going to meet her or should I stick with a shorter lived budgie?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That bird is going to live a lot longer than 25 years. With great care closer to 40.

Just make the proper arrangements for someone to take her and your allowed to die whenever you like :D (sorry couldn't resist)

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
You're a big help! Actually, I'm thinking of asking her current family, which is looking for a "forever" home for her because they don't have the time she deserves to devote to her, if they would take her back down the line if I decide not to live as long as my ancestors. I spend an inordinate amount of time playing with my birds. To the detriment of things I should be doing. I still work part time but will probably retire within the next few years. I have never "met" a ringneck but find their looks appeal. I'm probably going to have to go meet her and see how we like each other. The past few weeks have been so quiet. This is the longest I've been without a bird in the past 45 years!

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Maureen :heart:

I agree with John. So long as you make arrangements for the bird after, you shouldn't let age stop you from devoting all that love to one.

If I were the person having to rehome the IRN, I think I'd be over the moon at the thought she might one day return to me. I really hope her current family will be accepting to that idea.

:hug8:

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, if you wanna talk reality...the reality is that you could die tomorrow. So could I. So could the youngest members on this site.

Accidents happen; death happens. We never really know when. I'm only 25, but there's no guarantee at all that I'll still be alive when my macaw and my grey are in their nineties, when my pionus is in her thirties, or when my 'tiel turns twelve next month. Who knows?!

If you know that you can give a ringneck a good and loving home, and can ensure that she's taken care of when you're gone, then girl I say go for it!! :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You should get the bird if that's what you want. As was said, just make proper arrangements. (Actually put it in your will so your wishes are carried out.) We never know what may happen to any of us. Our cockatiel came to live with us when he was 15. His owner died at 64. I'm pretty sure that when she get him at 49-50 she never thought her cockatiel would outlive her but he did. None of us know. So enjoy the time you have with whatever bird you want. :)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry you lost your GCC. After having birds for 40 years, I was without a bird for 4 years, downsized into a condo and at age 63 wondered if my bird days were behind me. My husband knew I was missing something and gave me a handmade coupon for Christmas last year- any bird and all the supplies needed. :) Like you, I agonized, thinking about how long the bird could live. I eventually decided on a Linnie (they live 10-20 years) but now that I have her, I could have been open to any bird that I felt a connection to and just made plans for the future if something should happen. None of us know what the future holds. Gigi is awesome and I'm just so thrilled to have a bird in my home again. Good luck with your decision!

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I've been reading up on ringnecks and have decided my ringneck ship has sailed. In addition to the age thing is a space thing. I have just moved into a studio apartment. It can accommodate a budgie sized cage. But not a ringneck sized cage. And I heard a ringneck scream! Not apartment friendly. So, I'll stick with my budgie plan. Thanks for all the input, though.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been reading up on ringnecks and have decided my ringneck ship has sailed. In addition to the age thing is a space thing. I have just moved into a studio apartment. It can accommodate a budgie sized cage. But not a ringneck sized cage. And I heard a ringneck scream! Not apartment friendly. So, I'll stick with my budgie plan. Thanks for all the input, though.
Hey Maureen, Linnie cheerleader here. If you have any Linnie breeders near you, consider them. Oh my gosh, my girl is the best. She is the greatest condo bird. So quiet, cute, small and sweet... with the just right amount of big parrot sass.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
You know, you could also just go to a rescue and see who you connect with....

Just make arrangements for someone to take them after you depart this life.

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I have been checking/visiting the local rescue and SPCA. No connection. And no baby Linnie’s or parottlets available locally. But there will be baby hand-fed budgies available next month. I had one once, years ago. Best budgie I ever had.
The SPCA has a lovely ‘too but that would not work! The local non-chain pet shop had some hand-fed lovebirds, but again, no connection. I have had enough birds to know that for me, there has to be a mutual attraction. All of my favorite birds chose me. So, I will be patient and wait.... It WILL happen.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I have found time after time that a handfed male budgie lacks nothing in comparison to other birds. They are excellent companions.
I think you've made a good decision and are not "settling for less".
Be sure to introduce us when he comes home!

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I've been trying to rehome my IRN and I ALWAYS let people know she is NOT an apartment bird. When you watch the videos of them with their sweet talking voice you fall in love but people don't realize how high pitched and load their call is

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
a handfed male budgie lacks nothing in comparison to other birds. They are excellent companions.

My CAV was a guest speaker at our caged bird club when a heated debate over which is the “BEST” companion bird was underway. When they asked him he replied without hesitation: a hand-fed male budgie. My only question...what if I get a female? This will be a baby. Maybe I can pay for a DNA test before I bring the baby home. Or maybe I'll just take my chances. I've had 2 wonderful budgie hens. My last budgie (30 years ago), was a great little bird who read people extremely well. I got her immediately after my husband and I separated. She would have NOTHING to do with me. I started calling her, "Da#n bird". But once I got counseling and became human again, she settled right down and was soon riding around on my shoulder. My neighbor, who visited often, came over one night and Bird (her name because she said Bird...happily without the "da#n) totally freaked out. She flew round and round the room, yelling her head off, until the neighbor finally said, "What's wrong with that bird?" Bird settled down as soon as the neighbor left. The next day the neighbor told me she had come over because she was feeling suicidal! I think it's time I return to living with a budgie.

Last edited:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
a handfed male budgie lacks nothing in comparison to other birds. They are excellent companions.

My CAV was a guest speaker at our caged bird club when a heated debate over which is the “BEST” companion bird was underway. When they asked him he replied without hesitation: a hand-fed male budgie. My only question...what if I get a female? This will be a baby. Maybe I can pay for a DNA test before I bring the baby home. Or maybe I'll just take my chances. I've had 2 wonderful budgie hens. My last budgie (30 years ago), was a great little bird who read people extremely well. I got her immediately after my husband and I separated. She would have NOTHING to do with me. I started calling her, "Da#n bird". But once I got counseling and became human again, she settled right down and was soon riding around on my shoulder. My neighbor, who visited often, came over one night and Bird (her name because she said Bird...happily without the "da#n) totally freaked out. She flew round and round the room, yelling her head off, until the neighbor finally said, "What's wrong with that bird?" Bird settled down as soon as the neighbor left. The next day the neighbor told me she had come over because she was feeling suicidal! I think it's time I return to living with a budgie.
I absolutely agree with your vet. My only problem with them is that they die way too soon, and usually of a horrible cancer. Just happened to me yet again this year. I have to take a break again till my need overcomes my pain.
As for sexing, many good breeders can visually sex them by cere appearance when babies. The rules are different than sexing adults by cere color.
Why So Many Young Budgies Are Incorrectly Sexed - Cute Little Birdies Aviary
Budgie Genders- 3 Weeks to Adult - Cute Little Birdies Aviary

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
My only problem with them is that they die way too soon, and usually of a horrible cancer.

Which, at my age, is actually a plus. A 20+ year bird would likely out live me, or at least outlive my ability to care for/afford care for the bird. 10 years puts me at 88. I feel pretty confident that that is doable. I lost my last budgie to ovarian cancer at 10 years. Thanks for the links!