• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Talk about FIDS

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
Hey!! I don't know if anyone's made this before, but whatever! This is just a lil forum to talk about your feathered kids, specifically your conure! Photos are appreciated :)

I'll start, I have a 1 yr 7m old green cheek who is... interesting, to put it simply.:roflmao: While he's terrified of new, expensive toys, he's completely fine stealing anything and everything from me. He's also, surprisingly, a talker! He doesn't say much, but when you're cuddling up with him, he'll say "baaaby boy!" "i love you" "hi peep" "hello baby" and combinations of those, along with nice little-kissing noises. He's only bonded to me and my dad, but HEY! It's better than just liking one of us. He also loooves his baths :D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
He is very cute. I love seeing wet birds :lol:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
He is adorable!! Welcome to the avenue:) that second pic is too gorgeous! Maybe try keeping his toys from him, pretend they stevig yours and don’t let him have them, that might interest him;)
I have two lovebird boys(Henkie right and Fëanor left)who are currently, super SUPER hormonal
CD8A8C0D-1E3A-4E67-B8B5-D4FD200BA6EE.jpeg
They have made friends with my(temporarily single) bunbun Breezer recently too
F66D93EA-1936-4C47-A9D8-E8AB7AD57FF4.jpeg
Then we have Xena the blind lovie, I adopted her not so long ago. She has ventured out of her protected space a few times now, yay!
188537C0-3329-4BB2-A6C4-DA6D585D5D99.jpeg
And Blue the black capped conure, he Is a sweet little thing! The only trouble he causes is when he attacks others because he protects me lol. Working on that;)
ADC29494-AC0C-4BE9-B79C-88B1FC5C465A.jpeg
1F1246A0-F619-4354-B08F-29B7D2D77BEA.jpeg

Coldbreeze

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alana
I just have Zazu, my very first bird. She is almost r months old! I got her just when he was 9 weeks old. She loves to cuddle. She is a velcro bird. Loves to chirp and loves when my mom sings the 12 days of Christmas to her. She will chirp and honk along to the song! Zazu plays with toys but it seems the toys I have currently in her cage she isnt interested in :( so I have to go buy new ones or hope soon she will choose to like them. She is a picky eater! Which is annoying... but I'm working on that with her

DamJanet

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vickie
I only have Dammit. He is a 2 yr old blue crown conure. Got him when he was only 5 weeks old and hand fed him until he was almost 12 weeks. He chose his name himself. I was calling him Blue until I started trying to teach him to say dammit Janet. He picked it up around 9 weeks old and loved saying it so much, I had to keep it for a name.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
The gang...
Amada, Julip, Kari
Amada (turquoise) is from the 51 greencheeks taken in by Feathered Friends. She was stumbling around and no balance...very sick baby. She is kind of the room mom and watches everyone. Two turned up toes and a bit of splay legs which make her waddle a bit. Kari (normal greenie) was brought wrapped up in a coat in the middle of winter with nothing. Guys girlfriend said come get her or I'm throwing her outside. :mad: Julip (roseifrons) is from a rescue in NY, she has a tiny scissor beak, scarred lungs and liver (so she has a significant tail bob).

amada.jpg

Lola (another sick baby from the 51 conures- severe heart disease and she is fairly young but the previous diet has damaged her heart) and Moki from a friend.

Lola and Moki.jpg

Maui and Bitty
Maui was on CL with a beak injury...she is a cute little imp that tries to bully cheekies on the left of the the room and prefers grumpy elders. Bitty is an elderly baby that was dropped off at the vet's office to be put to sleep because they were moving and he bit the wife. Soft Landings rescue was able to pick him up. He is in end stages of heart disease but at least 23 or more. He used to be fairly tame but skittish. Now that Maui is his girlfriend, he is wild...no use for the humans.

maui and bitty.jpg

Maui with her make-a-wrong-move face...

maui.jpg

Zia came from CARE in WI...yes I drove six hours one way to pick her up because of her cute little face and plucked body (she plucks when something bothers her). She believes she is not a cheekie and does not like cheekies.

zia.jpg

Boober is another cheekie from the 51 greenies. Foster fail...he is just a fluffy lump that sits next to me waiting for kisses. Not too many though; he has his limits.

boober.jpg

Tosh another cheekie from the 51 gang. Foster failure but a friend of Boober's. She isn't really tame per say but does like fuzzy pjs. And the tamer she gets, the more I mix the two up. She bit the crap out of me last night when I scooped her up thinking she was Boober. :hilarious:

IMG_8984.JPG

Tuck & Rue

Tuck is a troubled fid from Feathered Friends. Had relationship issues. Thought all was well being Jewel's third boyfriend (my shameless hussy is next). But then chewed a hole in his leg. I had a cheekie (Rue) that was booted from the 51 gang. I moved Tuck upstairs to see if they would bond and luckily they did. Took a guess Rue was a girl and was right (eggies). Tuck is on gabapentin to help with plucking/mutilation. Rue is just a wildling.

tuck and rue.jpg

Zephyr (l) is the cheekie when he was a baby was at the pet store right next to the open koi pond (his cage was touching the lip). Jewel was from a friend who purchased her from the same store in a different town. I believe they are siblings (but in the bird world that apparently doesn't matter for mates). Jewel to the right is our shameless girl that wants all the boys. These two also have some sort of metabolic issue as their weight balloons. Jewel has gotten up to 110 grams. She is currently 74.

zephyr and jewel.jpg

Rocco is Jewel's other boyfriend and is caged during the day with him. Rocco is a bit of a naughty boy and jumps other birds and people. He is not allowed on my shoulder ( you never know when you'll get a face bite ). We do what we can...toys, a few scritches and a girlfriend. A cheating girlfriend but alas what can you do. He is getting to be an old man at 15 I think.

rocco.jpg

Giggie and Carlton
Giggie was fully feathered and started plucking about six months after I got her from a bird flipper. We tried everything which then turned into mutilation. She is also on gabapentin. Dr. Orosz said she needs a little old lady who is home all day with her. But she also loves, loves little girls. So far I have no little old ladies close to me in case she needs a mutilation intervention. Carlton (free on CL) used to be beautifully feathered until Giggie decided to style him. Carlton has high blood pressure and is on enalapril.

carlton and giggie.jpg

Last but first in the conure family...Happy (gold capped conure from rescue in Parma, OH) and Chya (sun conure - a sickly pet store purchase). Happy hates little boys but prefers teenage boys. He came home in 2001 and Chya in 2003. She is my baby. I ended up hand feeding her as she had regressed at the pet store and they didn't know it.

Happy and Chya.jpg

Last edited:

cheryls

Strolling the yard
Real Name
cheryl
I only have Dammit. He is a 2 yr old blue crown conure. Got him when he was only 5 weeks old and hand fed him until he was almost 12 weeks. He chose his name himself. I was calling him Blue until I started trying to teach him to say dammit Janet. He picked it up around 9 weeks old and loved saying it so much, I had to keep it for a name.
that birds name is sure not polite.. I couldn't have a name like that with grandchildren

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have Nibbles, my pineapple gcc. She will be two in early February. We've had her since she was about 18 days old. She's sweet, funny, rude, bratty, and willful all wrapped into one. She talks a bit. When I come into the office early in the morning, she says "What are you doing?" She used to say "Hi Baby" but not so much anymore. She's taken to saying "Jackie Bird", which is the name of the Blue Crown she shares the office with. She and Jackie are in cages side by side, and they share a play stand. Share in the sense that they both sit on it, but almost completely ignore each other.

Jackie is my old man Blue Crown that has been with us since January. I believe we're his 3rd owners, but due to his slowly declining health, we'll be his last. He habitually plucks, had food issues because he was fed nothing but human food by a previous owner, and has separation anxiety that results in screaming sometimes when I leave the room. I use him as an example of what happens when you feed the wrong food to your birds. He's a sweet old man though, almost like a puppy. He's happy to see me in the morning. He sits on my shoulder and goes with me around the house as I do stuff. I tell him about all the problems in the world. He looks me right in the eye like he understands me. He kisses me on the cheek, and when he's had enough, he goes back to his cage.

Then there is Wasabi, the other Blue Crown. He's 16, and has been with us for just over a year. He lives in the living room because he hasn't been around other birds. I'm not sure putting him and Jackie close together would be a good idea, though they might just ignore each other like Nibbles and Jackie do. Wasabi hadn't been handled in years, but we're working on that. He will step up to my hand, but only from certain sides of the cage. He says HI! in a really excited tone. He makes kissing noises, but only to my other half. He will kiss my cheek, but doesn't make any sound. I tell him it's unfair and rude of him because I'm the one that feeds him, but he seem to care. He will also sit on my shoulder when I do things around the house, but if I tell him about all the problems in the world, he looks at me as if he's saying, "Whatever."

I have several breeding pairs, but I don't name them, or interact the same with them. It's not like they want anything to do with me anyway. There are two sun conure chicks that I'm hand feeding right now. Not quite weaned, but close to flying. They are silly, and a lot of fun.

Then there is my furry kid - Odin the psycho cat. He's a 7 year old, male, black cat, and a complete weirdo. He has emotional issues and where most cats would leave the room if something scares them, or they aren't comfortable, he starts to howl and scream. At first I took it to be aggression, but then I realized it was overwhelming fear that he doesn't know how to handle. Who knows what his life was like before I adopted him. In any case, I'm in it for the long haul. He is fascinated by the birds, but only from a distance. He let his tail get a little too close to Wasabi's cage once, and Wasabi gave him a nasty bite. Now he has a healthy fear of birds, which I fully encourage. I only mention him because friends always ask me how I handle a cat in a house full of birds.