• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taking my quaker outside?

wolfdog01

Meeting neighbors
Okay so by the end of this year, I will be moved out of my parent's home and into a camper. It's about 28ft and really open, hardly any partitions or extra walls. My original plan was to get a small "outside" cage and push it up next to an open window so my bird could go inside and outside whenever she wanted. But the windows in the camper don't open all the way. So that idea is out of the window. I would use the cage to take her inside and outside but I don't really like that idea because it creates more room for error like triping with the cage or maybe she finds a way to escape through the door. So my big question is this: Is it okay if I just leave the windows with the screen intact so she can look outside and feel the breeze and stuff? I just feel bad if she is indoors a lot and her travel cage is kinda small. Is sunlight required for parrots? I know a lot of people keep their birds indoors and she seems to be happy inside. She kinda is on edge outdoors but Idk if that is because she just hasn't gotten used to it or what. I rescued her from my uncle who kept her outside 24/7, maybe she hates the outdoors now? I guess that was more than just one big question lol

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sunlight is very good for them. It allows their body to naturally produce vitamin D3. The only other way to get this vitamin is with pellets or a supplement.

Vitamin D3 for Our Birds

I've always just taken them outside in a carrier for some sunlight. Larger cages you can use zip ties or quicklinks to prevent doors from opening if you wanted to go that route.

The biggest issue you may run into is if your bird can hear you but not see you, it may scream a contact call to help you get back to the flock (them).

Outdoors can be scary at first because it's big, open, and vulnerable. You can help this by covering half of the cage with a towel so they have a place to retreat to :)

Reactions: tka

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Without knowing how your camper is, I would want to assess the condition of the screens on your window and whether they are secure and made of material where my quaker wouldnt be able to chew through it. I would also want to assess whether by having my quaker out, where there is a chance of her flying out the camper door if and when you or anyone else may be coming in and out.

Im not sure how big your travel cage is, but I have the wire Prevue travel one for my quaker that I like a lot for outdoor use: https://www.chewy.com/prevue-pet-pr...Hi1nKzHX_QhOjdL_ZJ_JJ4QpSwTW3zzgaAuF5EALw_wcB

I find it convenient because its lightweight, foldable, and the doors securely close. I use mostly during the summer, when I just want to sit in the backyard with my birds and, like Shawna said above, Ill cover half the cage with a towel to provide shade and a safe safe (so they dont feel so exposed out in the open). Sometimes its on sale for $30, too.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That is also the travel cage I use :)

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
The screens are a good idea, if they are safe, the outside air coming inside is always a good idea. But if the sunshine has to go through the glass, with the window open, then she will not get the correct rays to make the vitamin D3. You don't say whether she will have a cage inside the caravan or whether she will be totally free. The caravan door may be a problem that could be partially solved by attaching a hook so that someone from outside can't just open the door.

wolfdog01

Meeting neighbors
Yeah she has a large cage that I will be bringing with me. The door has two locks on it and I plan on keeping it locked all the time in case I have someone coming over, they don't just barge in and let her out. As for the screens, my family and I talked about that at dinner and we are thinking maybe something like chicken wire to put over it. She is honestly not that playful or interested in too many things other than hanging out with me and scritches. The door also has a screen on almost the whole thing plus a regular, hard door that attaches to it. I could always detach the real door from the screen door and let her get sun that way maybe? If anything I will just use the cage and take her outside, but I'll have to see how it goes. We're still doing upgrades to the camper and stuff, would be nice if I could get some kind of skylight in lol