• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Take breeder's advice or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So I've had Java for almost 4 months now, and I am in regular contact with his breeder since he is very untamed and special needs. When I ask about socializing or getting him used to me, the breeder suggests that I force him to leave the cage and to carry him around so he'll eventually get used to it. While I want him to experience all the wonderful things in life, I don't want to shove it in his face. He's very uncomfortable when he's away from his cage but I'm afraid he'll become cage bound if I don't encourage him to step out of his comfort zone. Since I've had him, he's made a TON of progress by me just talkng to him and being patient, but I wonder if I should take the breeder's advice and flood him. Personally, I prefer time and patience since he's been an aviary breeder his entire life, but the breeder says he'll remain distant and unmanageable unless I'm more hands on and firm with him. He's also at least 13 years old according to my avian vet. Not sure if age has anything to do with it. What should I do?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Please don't take the breeder's advice. Set up a play area for him outside of the cage with lots of food and treats and let Java decide when he's ready to come out or not.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Can't force tame a bird. They need time & need to become comfortable with you. Forcing them is going to make the situation worse imho.

How would you like to be forceably held by a giant green monster even if they had a cookie for you????

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Patience, trust and love (food helps). Put some perches around the door of the cage and some favourite toys and offer his favourite treats to leave the door open and see what he thinks. No force, just encouragement.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you guys! I wasn't sure if I was holding him back by not being more proactive with him, but it's a relief to now that I can take the calm approach. You guys are awesome!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My cockatiel Sunny came to live with us when he was 15. I don't think he had much if any out of the cage time before he came to live with us. It took about a month before he would come out of his cage. During this time, I would sit and talk to him and read to him. Hand feed him treats through the cage bars but I never forced him to come out. One day, he came out on his own and was clearly so proud of himself. It then took another 3 months at least before he would let me take him more than a couple feet from his cage. I could sit on the floor with him near his cage but his cage always had to be in sight. It was his security blanket. He wouldn't step up on my hand. He would either step up on my arm covered in a towel or onto a pillow. I really started to think he would never leave the room his cage was in. Then one day he let us take him into the living room. Then he started stepping up on my hand if I kept it flat so he could step on it. Eventually, he became little adventure bird and would explore the whole house and was so good that we let him live cage free during the day- even when we weren't home (we bird proofed the living room for him). He only went to his cage at night for bed. And he was a complete cuddle bug. So, time and patience is everything. I never forced Sunny to do anything. I think because of that he trusted me completely and we had an amazing relationship. Some birds just take longer than others to become comfortable with things. So just give your birdie time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.