1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tailfeathers (macaw)

Discussion in 'Macaw Motorway' started by Pica, 12/2/17.

1. Pica

Pica Moving in

hallo I have a one year old Hyprid female macaw , the new feathers r growing wierdly.
    1 the feathersheet it doesn't fall off on the last 1/3 (from gowring area) and it's very thick.
    2 a black material is stuffing the feathers from underneath.
    3 this part of the feather unter the sheet is very pale and has bad colouring in comparison to the rest of the feather.
    4 she started breaking and chewing on the tail feathers, I guess she is annoyed because of the reasons I mentioned above.

PBFD: negativ

Any idea. ( pics included)
    This pic was pulled during the examination. (To explain the blood stain).

Any idea? Help please.

Attached Files:

2. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sarah
    Its a new feather. I will answer this with more detail when I have a moment.

Is this the only feather and did you pull it out?

faislaq and Fritzgerald16 like this.
  3. Pica

Pica Moving in

No the tail feathers look all like this, and she started chewing and snapping them off from the middle.
    No I didn't pull it on purpose. It got pulled off at the doctor.

faislaq likes this.
  4. Chantilly Lace

Chantilly Lace Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Chantel
    They look a tiny bit strange but when new feathers come in they are covered by a sheath of fingernail type material. The bird usually will remove this as the feather grows in, leaving the new beautiful feathers.

It sounds like your bird is plucking out the new feathers as they come in. Does she have enough toys to destroy? Is she pulling out her feathers? Has she had a blood test to rule out a bacterial infection? My Paco started chewing his foot and it turned out he had an infection. He was treated with antibiotics and a nerve pain medicine and stopped right away.

Do you have an avian vet or a normal vet? Why did the feather get pulled out at the vet? That’s not typical....

faislaq and Macawnutz like this.
  5. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sarah
    When a feather is molted and a new feather grows in they grow in a that sheath. It is called a blood feather and is completely normal.
    As the new feather grows the end of the feather will be able to be preened open but if you preen too far too soon, it will start to bleed.

So to answer your questions
    1. it shouldn't fall off until it is ready or, your sweetie may need help preening as she is so young.
    2.The black material is dried blood indicating that part of the feather is ready to be preened.
    3. the feather under the sheath should be under colored as it is a new feather and still growing. ( normally you would not be able to see that as the feather would be attached and bleeding if you preened that far )
    4. Macaw tails are always a mess under they are over 3 years old. They are babies and that giant tail gets in the way of playing.

You should help her preen them.

JLcribber and faislaq like this.
  6. Pica

Pica Moving in

Thank you guys for the reply,
    Yea I think the tail is bothering her and she snaps the side tailfeathers from the middle off. :(
    She has toys to play with.
    I have a vet but he didn't help much , ill. Take her to some one else.

Im just worried about her.

Ill update u guys when I find out.

If u have more ideas feel free to help me out.

7. Macawnutz

Sarah
    Give us pictures of her butt!

Baby macaws are crazy, she may just need some help preening those new feathers.

8. Bokkapooh

Bokkapooh Ripping up the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mercedez
    How old is she and what is her diet like?

How long have you had her?

9. Pica

Pica Moving in

She is now 13 months alt, I converted her on pellets (high potency von Harrison). But since 4 weeks she stoped eating pellets and wants only sunflower seeds, ( I was on vacation and I think she got them in the parrots hostel) since then wants only the seeds.

Am having trouble to convert her again on pellets.

I have her now about 7 months

10. Bokkapooh

Mercedez
    Have you tried stop feeding the seeds?

11. Bokkapooh

Mercedez
    The all seed diet sounds like it's making her nutrient deficient.

Do you offer her other foods? Fresh produce and cooked foods?

doodadz likes this.
  12. Pica

Pica Moving in

She is getting this seeds only since 4 weeks , I'm trying to change it again

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)