• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tailfeather Problem

Beanz

Moving in
Real Name
Daniel
So here is some background:

When I first got Petrie, he was newly weened and a bit wild. In his new cage, his tail feathers got broken and messed up when he would jump around. His wings were also clipped pretty short, so when the formerly broken tail feathers were regrowing and he would fall to the ground, it bumped his feathers and they would get bloody.

This problem was rectified when I realized what was going on, and after several weeks, his tail feathers were just fine. (No collar or anything needed, they grew with no hassle)

About 6 months later, I noticed that he was chewing at the skin around his tail feathers, just above where the tail feathers attach. I tried all sorts of things from collars to aloe, and after several months of him chewing, I finally managed to craft a collar that was comfortable (at least as comfortable as a huge collar can be on a little bird) and it stayed on for about a month and a half. It was enough time for all of his feathers to grow out, and then I took it off.

He was fine for another 2 months, but then just 2 nights ago I noticed that he plucked a tail feather. After so much of a hassle with his previous tail feather problem, I have been keeping a pretty close eye on this. Just today, he started to really go after his tail feathers again, and I can tell that it is hurting. He even stamps his foot up and down and shakes his tail feathers about once every 4-10 seconds when it is bothering him.

I know that tail feathers are naturally itchy when they are growing in, but my concern is that he is going to start chewing his skin up again and that this might be a permanent problem. Is there anything that I can do about this? I love my little buddy, and it pains me to see that he is uncomfortable.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If he is still plucking them out now (3, 4 days after your post) , I would say a visit to the vet might be in order :(