• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tail biting

Rainydays

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a bonded pair(both around a year old) and recently the female budgie has started biting the male’s tail. No feathers have been pulled out, but the other’s tail now has a crook in it. The girl budgie is pretty bossy by nature, so I’m worried that this might escalate to fighting. Is this a good time to separate them? Will this behavior go away on its own?

Last edited:

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
How long have they been together and how large is your cage? I don't have budgies, but from what you've said (and having seen other people's birds interacting) I'm guessing that the male might have tried to get frisky and she wasn't having it? As a female, she might be territorial in general.

If you have the money, I would consider getting a flight cage if you don't already have one. It might be good for them to have some space to get away from each other. I have a prevue cage I got from Amazon- quite spacious and at a great price! I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to a specific product on this forum but here is the title you can search:
Prevue Pet Products SP42614-4 Flight Cage, Brown/Black

Good luck!!