1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Taco may be dying **UPDATE** Taco is NOT dying

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by hrafn, 8/31/18.

1. RawPasta

RawPasta Sprinting down the street

Kelley
    Phew, so glad for good news. Hang in there, he'll be home soon.

hrafn, faislaq and Sarahmoluccan like this.
  2. Erikalynnha

Erikalynnha Sprinting down the street

Erika
    So glad Taco is doing better! Had a similar incident with Lennerd when he decided to head butt the wall. Very scary situation!

:hug8:

hrafn, ConureTiel, faislaq and 2 others like this.
  3. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    Eloy also had a similar accident and he was fine, so keep your positive thinking, it will be fine. :)
    Sending you hugs and positive and healing thoughts to Taco. ♥
    :hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4:

4. hrafn

hrafn Jogging around the block

Taco Tuesday is home now. He's going to be taking it easy for a while, but the worst seems to have passed. He's still very snuggly and clingy, but he's had a long, stressful, scary day.
    He's going to have some mash and mango chunks, and relax for the rest of the evening.
    I'm gonna go pass out on the floor.

5. Love My Zons

Love My Zons Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran Vendor

Claire
    What a relief! Very happy to hear he's Okay! I bet you are exhausted, get some rest too! :hug8:

hrafn and Sarahmoluccan like this.
  6. zoo mom

zoo mom Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Elaine
    So glad Taco is home.

hrafn likes this.
  7. nu2birds

nu2birds Jogging around the block

Kurt
    Two pages of nail biting..........and two pages with good news..........I'm exhausted, but so relieved Taco is going to be just fine. I started to watch the video, but couldn't.

faislaq, hrafn and Sarahmoluccan like this.
  8. rockoko

rockoko Squawk and Meow! Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Martine

:hug8:

hrafn likes this.
  9. Shezbug

Shezbug I have a macaw and don't post enough photos I Can't Stop Posting!

That is great to hear.

faislaq and hrafn like this.
  10. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sarah
    I almost did pass out on the floor when you posted this! I couldn't even get myself to watch your video.... nothing upsets me more than a blue & gold hurt or in pain.

So glad he is home... I'm guessing he is not a good flyer? Would foam padding or a blanket around his cage have helped?

When Maui was young we had a foam floor around his playstand. Granted he didn't always hit it but it did brace a few falls.

11. hrafn

One thing I'm VERY glad for is that I have the floor of the bird room padded with foam tiles, because of Kamara's disability. Taco might have been hurt so much worse if he'd hit the wall and then crashed to the hardwood floor. He at least had a cushion and didn't do damage to his ribs or his legs or anything. Thank god.

That was the first time I ever saw Taco fly, and he didn't seem to really have any control over where he was going. Though he was spooked, it wasn't really like a bird startling and flying into a window trying to escape, he just literally couldn't brake once he was in the air, and he hit the wall. I've been trying to target train him, so he gradually learns to fly, but since he never tried I thought he might be one of those birds who doesn't know what his wings are for. I guess not!

He scared me so bad. I had to put the fids to bed a couple hours ago, and it's taking so much not to constantly go in and check on him and wake everybody up. I'm a shaking, snot-faced mess.

12. hrafn

Thank you everyone for keeping my poor klutzy baby in your thoughts. You're all the best.
    :grouphug2:

Tiel Feathers, faislaq, Eloy and 11 others like this.
  13. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

So glad he's back home.

cassiesdad and hrafn like this.
  14. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sarah

When you love them that much it's hurts double when they hurt.

That's why I have a camera system in almost every room. I can check on them even during lights out with night vision.

Once he is feeling better it might be time to start tossing him onto the bed. Make a game of it and get him to flap his wings. We have taught all our babies that way... Even Sambuca who I thought would never actually fly.

15. Princessbella

Princessbella Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month

Theresa
    Thank goodness that Taco will be ok.

faislaq, Hankmacaw and hrafn like this.
  16. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

:faint::fairy2::bliss::yahoo:

hrafn likes this.
  17. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Bob Weisman
    So very glad Taco is home!

:hug8: :hug8: :hug8:to you both.:)

faislaq, hrafn and BeanieofJustice like this.
  18. kathyth

kathyth Jogging around the block

Kathy
    :fairy2::fairy2::fairy2::fairy2::fairy2::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:

cassiesdad and hrafn like this.
  19. Peachfaced

Peachfaced Biking along the boulevard Moderator Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Sadie
    That's a genius way to teach them... I've always had smaller birds and I would just get them to jump to me from their perch to mine (or to my hand/arm). I like your method.

faislaq likes this.
  20. Macawnutz

Sarah

That's what we did. Once they got used to flapping down onto the bed I would sit on the bed and catch them on my arm with my husband tossing them. Once they were good with that we would toss them across the room to each other. Then tossing them to their stands... next.. they do it all by themselves.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)