1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Taco may be dying **UPDATE** Taco is NOT dying

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by hrafn, 8/31/18.

1. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

laurie
    Me too

2. hrafn

hrafn Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award

Taco has a mild concussion. He's doing okay, but he's being kept at the vet to make sure there's no lasting damage and that nothing goes awry. He's on an IV drip and an anti-inflammatory. He's very quiet and just wants to snuggle up in my arms; he gets very upset when I have to leave. However, he's regained his balance completely and his head tilt is gone.

The vet said his prognosis is very positive, but they're just working on the side of caution. There was a momentary scare when he wasn't responding to visual stimulus, but his eyesight came back quickly. She said he can go home later today if he doesn't go downhill, and she doesn't think he will.

I had to go home to feed and look after everybody, but I'll be at the vet most of the day, I'm sure. My poor boy.

webchirp, tka, Princessbella and 24 others like this.
  3. WendyN

WendyN Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Wendy
    :bighug:

hrafn likes this.
  4. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

laurie
    So glad to hear that he will be ok. It very scary when they get hurt. We know what to do for us humans, but for our feathered buddies, we have to learn to act as quickly as possible. Be strong we are praying for Taco.

hrafn, faislaq and Sarahmoluccan like this.
  5. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner
    Poor. poor Taco. Hope he recovers quickly.

hrafn and faislaq like this.
  6. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Glad hes gonna be ok :hug8:Did the vet say to put him on cage rest for a few days?

7. greys4u

greys4u Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue

:gbh:for you and Taco

hrafn likes this.
  8. Mockinbirdiva

Mockinbirdiva Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Andrea
    Glad to see some good news! Good job for getting him to the vet so quickly. I know that was terribly frightening for you and you handled it very well ...Hugs and prayers!

hrafn, faislaq and Sarahmoluccan like this.
  9. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Ripping up the road Weather Authority Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    That's good news.

Continuing good thoughts going out to you and Taco.

Taco, I know how you're feeling...I've had SEVEN concussions in the past...hang in there, Big Guy...;)

hrafn, Hankmacaw, faislaq and 2 others like this.
  10. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    Phew, what a relief! I’m so glad it seems like he’ll be okay, and I hope he makes a speedy recovery!

11. zoo mom

zoo mom Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Elaine
    So glad Taco is going to be alright. Many hugs to you and good thoughts for Taco.

12. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Finchly
    Thank goodness!

:bighug:

hrafn likes this.
  13. Dartman

Dartman Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Terry
    Great, I've had at least one serious concussion when I fell at work years ago and broke my arm. I don't remember most of it except for bits and pieces and I bet he'll be similar so just take care of him and love him and he should good as new in no time.

14. BeanieofJustice

BeanieofJustice Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Steph
    I'm so sorry to hear this happened! I'm glad that he seems to be doing okay!

15. Sarahmoluccan

Sarahmoluccan Biking along the boulevard Super Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award

Sarah
    Great news that he's doing better!! I hope there's no lasting damage and he's recovers 100% Poor Taco, I do feel bad for him but I'm so relieved his prognosis is good. Like @Mockinbirdiva said you handle the situation really well. :) I'm so glad to hear the vet says he can probably go home to day. That's excellent news!!

16. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award SUPER HERO

Karen
    What a relief! :bliss: Thank goodness he's improving and that you took him in so quickly.

17. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Diane
    I'm so glad he's improving too! I was so worried when I saw this thread last night. Big hugs to both of you

hrafn, Eloy, faislaq and 1 other person like this.
  18. Shezbug

Shezbug ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW! Moderator Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

What great news. So glad Taco is doing better. I hope he has a full recovery and is back to his happy self soon.

hrafn, Eloy and faislaq like this.
  19. macawpower58

macawpower58 Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

Its good to hear the vet is positive in his thinking.

hrafn, Shezbug and faislaq like this.
  20. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    I am so glad you are going back home where he will be most comfortable.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)