1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Taco may be dying **UPDATE** Taco is NOT dying

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by hrafn, 8/31/18.

1. hrafn

hrafn Rollerblading along the road

A moment ago, a car backfired on the street while Taco was playing on top of his cage, and he leapt into the air in shock and flew head-first into the wall.

He seemed fine (if a little dazed) when I picked him up, and he asked to go back into his cage, as he always does when he gets hurt or upset. He got a drink, and then he started doing this.

Right after I stopped filming, he keeled backward and fell to the bottom of his cage, so weak and disoriented that I had to scoop him up under his belly, as he couldn't move his legs to step up or untangle himself from the grate.

He's on my lap now as I get his travel carrier ready for the emergency vet. He seems to have regained his balance and his control over his body, but obviously I'm not okay.

SandraK likes this.
  2. Love My Zons

Love My Zons Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran Vendor

Claire
    Get a heating pad and hold him and let him calm down. If you are very concerned you can go to the Vet. Is he alert now?

faislaq likes this.
  3. MagpieDragon

MagpieDragon Jogging around the block

I have no idea, except to get him to the vet asap!
    :sadhug2:Sorry about what you're going through- hopefully taco will be just fine :fingerscrossed:

faislaq likes this.
  4. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

I hope that Taco will be OK. Sending positive thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated and have a safe trip to the vet's office.

hrafn, faislaq and Sarahmoluccan like this.
  5. MagpieDragon

MagpieDragon Jogging around the block

6. zoo mom

zoo mom Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Elaine
    No heating pad not for a possible head injury.

webchirp, Eloy, Lady Jane and 6 others like this.
  7. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sarah
    Go to the vet now. Get him in the car and go.

SandraK, Hankmacaw, faislaq and 3 others like this.
  8. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    He has suffered head trauma (and possible neurological damage). It will be touch and go for at least 24 hours. Go to the vet please.

Lady Jane, SandraK, Hankmacaw and 3 others like this.
  9. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    Oh no, poor Taco! I pray he will be okay. Big hugs to you, hang in there.
    :sadhug2:

hrafn and faislaq like this.
  10. hrafn

hrafn Rollerblading along the road

We're at the emergency vet now. I left immediately after I posted the thread. They've taken him into the back and I'm in the waiting room until they call me in.

When we were in the car it was like he was completely back to normal, and even pretty miffed about being in his carrier. But with my habit of freaking out over minor injuries, I wasn't about to let this slide. If he's fine and I'm keeping him from his sleep for no reason, he can bite me and snark at me until the cows come home. But we're staying here until I know one way or the other!

webchirp, Eloy, Hankmacaw and 13 others like this.
  11. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna
    I am glad you are at the vet!! How scary!

hrafn and rocky'smom like this.
  12. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Better safe than sorry! Hope hes ok!

hrafn and rocky'smom like this.
  13. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    :hug8:

Cover that damn window.

hrafn and Lady Jane like this.
  14. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna

I think it was a sound that scared him and he ran into a wall :(

hrafn likes this.
  15. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    Keep us posted, head trauma is nothing to fool with birds or humans. I'm glad you beat feet to the ER vet.

16. WendyN

WendyN Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Wendy
    :bighug:
    Hope he is ok.

17. Sarahmoluccan

Sarahmoluccan Rollerblading along the road Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award

Sarah
    I'm so sorry!! That video was painful to watch :( I'm glad he's acting better and is at the vets now. Zane had a couple episodes where he was out of it. But then would be normal again. I was never sure what caused it through. At least you known what happened so that's a bit of a start. I hope Taco makes a fully recovery. It's just so scary when these things happens. You, your family and Taco will be in my thoughts and prays

hrafn, Hankmacaw, faislaq and 2 others like this.
  18. Mockinbirdiva

Mockinbirdiva Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

Andrea
    Oh gosh! I'll say a prayer for both of you! Happy you took him so quickly.

19. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

:sadhug2::angel1::angel6:

hrafn likes this.
  20. CeciliaZ

CeciliaZ Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Cecilia
    :sadhug2:Sending good thoughts

hrafn likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)