• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sydney is rescued! His story

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you! I truly appreciate your amazing offer! I haven't heard anything from Bird Man Dan.
In another thread there was some mention of him being unable to make contact for some time. I think @Wasabisaurus may have recently been in touch with him and know something about why he has been MIA.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He will step up, but as soon as I take a few steps away from his cage, he becomes extremely anxious. So we usually just hang out together next to his cage.
Well lo and behold, Sydney's beginning to say a few words! He talks up a gibberish storm all day long as it is. So much so that I'm usually tuned out to most of it. But today mixed in I heard 'Hello' and 'I love you'!:heart:

These are the first 2 phrases I've heard him say since he'd once said 'You're stupid' a few months back. I'll take 'Hello' and 'I love you' over that awful phrase any day!

Ummmmmmm. Where's our update?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:hangin: :popcorn: :popcorn2: :popcorn2:

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I was actually thinking about updating this thread!
He's doing great! He loves me, but will show shade towards the men in the household. Makes perfect sense to me, seeing that his previous dispicable owner was male. He continues to become super hormonal towards me whenever I speak to, or pick him up. I can't ever hold him without him becoming a full-on flirt.

Sydney's favorite past time these days is tearing up cardboard sheets. He will spend countless hours ripping it up.

The long term effect of his neglect remains evident to me in his behaviors. He spends the majority of the day walking/pacing back and forth. But he's happy!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
What good news! :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The long term effect of his neglect remains evident to me in his behaviors. He spends the majority of the day walking/pacing back and forth. But he's happy!
For Secret, it stopped after a while but will still reoccur when stressed.

All you can do is love them

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He continues to become super hormonal towards me whenever I speak to, or pick him up. I can't ever hold him without him becoming a full-on flirt.
Too bad none of your greys are female. Now that's something he never had in solitary and would certainly distract from you and make him very happy. :embarassed: jk I am so glad that he is happy. Has he been in the aviary yet?

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@faislaq no he hasn't. It hasn't really been warm enough until this week. However, he still becomes very stressed the further I walk away from his cage holding him. 8 feet is about as far away as I can go before he completely porcupines out all his feathers and lets out a loud whistle.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Still, 8 feet is better than before. That's pretty good for him! Considering he lives years alone in a shed, I'd say he's lightyears ahead of where he was. :heart2:Maybe one day he'll make it to that gorgeous aviary!

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I truly hope so. I'm just thinking that being outside fully open like that will add another layer to his stress. But we shall see.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
For Secret, it stopped after a while but will still reoccur when stressed.

All you can do is love them
Milton's plucking has become habitual. He likes to bluff (yes, bluff!) pulling feathers out when he thinks he's not getting enough attention. He'll look straight at me and come up with his claw right to his face.

I have stated calling his bluff lately...he'll go for his face and I'll say "Go for it"...he'll stop what he's doing...and laugh at me...:rolleyes:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I have stated calling his bluff lately...he'll go for his face and I'll say "Go for it"...he'll stop what he's doing...and laugh at me...:rolleyes:
Oh my goodness, you're so much tougher than me. :confused:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Milton's plucking has become habitual. He likes to bluff (yes, bluff!) pulling feathers out when he thinks he's not getting enough attention. He'll look straight at me and come up with his claw right to his face.

Bless him! The cheeky bugger. Lol

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I truly hope so. I'm just thinking that being outside fully open like that will add another layer to his stress. But we shall see.
Not if his new flock (you) are within sight.....

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Even if I'm in sight or holding him, the moment I step too far away from his cage his entire demeanor completely changes: from being totally amorous to instantaneously changing into a whistling porcupine

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Oh my goodness, you're so much tougher than me. :confused:
It's relatively easy to read Milton and his bluffing. He is manipulative at times..well, a lot of times. He loves attention (as most 'toos do) and it is a challenge not to bow to his every whim for attention/cuddling. But we keep fighting the good fight...;)

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Well, Mr. Sydney took another step in the right direction! He always hops onto my hand whenever I open up his cage. Last night when I opened up the door to change out his food bowl, he hopped on as usual, only this time I decided to take him even further away from his safety zone: the kitchen. He's always instantly amorous whenever I have him, but would always turn himself into a porcupine the further away I'd move from his beloved cage. But last night, he quickly stopped his flirting, looked around, and then resumed his behaviors while I went about my business of taking care of his food bowls. Took 2 trips to and from his cage to the kitchen and not one porcupine episode! I'd say he was a good 20 feet away from his cage!

This is going to become our even ritual from here on out. Once he's mastered this, then we'll work towards introducing a different room to him.