• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sworn Enemies

marion saragosa

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
marion saragosa
Hi everyone,
I have a beautiful Sun Conure that my husband got me for Christmas a year ago. The problem that I have is with my Blue Crown Conure which I have had for 6 six years now. I got Piper(BCC) when he was 1 year old and it took me 2 years to gain his trust and love. He was hand fed but the breeder was in it for the money only and as such he hates hands. He will step up and loves to snuggle and cuddle and give kisses but I cannot scratch his head or touch him with my fingers.
The issue that I have is that he hates Micki(SC) and it started the day we brought him home. Today I tried having them both out on the play stand and Micki when over to see Piper and Piper went after him. I put my arm between them and got bit by both. I have come to the conclusion that Piper will never accept Micki and they can only be out with the other one in their house.
I have a 9 year old female Green Cheek Conure and her and Piper used to be out on the play stand together and neither bothered the other until Micki came. Now Piper will go after Veda(GCC) and even my husband now. Any ideas?

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
Hi Marion,

Welcome to the forum. You may not be able to have them all out at the same time. Some members here take turns with their birds out because they don't get along.

I have a conure, a lovebird, and 5 parakeets. When I brought each one home. I would hand feed them treats all together, with each bird getting a treat or two and than giving the next one a treat or two. I would hurry quickly taking turns feeding them treat so that some are still munching while I am feeding the others, this prevents one of them trying to take the treat or fight for the treat. I would praise them as they patiently ate their treats together.My new birds were always babies when I brought them in, and they weren't as aggressive, which made it easier. I kind of made it like the whole flock is eating together. I think that has helped them get along. It is something that I thought I should do to help them get along. Maybe something you can work towards. Even taking turns giving a treat while they are in there cages, if need be.

There really is no quick fix or maybe any fix to get them to get along.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Hi Marion.

I have the same problem with my pionus and two cockatiels. Rowan was fine with Skyline for years, but as soon as I introduced Highrise it all unraveled and Row's been out for blood since.

The way I initially worked around this was basically what Ppoi said about the birds only being out in turns: When Rowan was out, the tiel boys were caged and when the boys were out, Rowan was caged (Zyda got a free pass since she's civil with everyone).

However, Rowan would still try to get at the cockatiels through the cage bars and that put a lot of worry on me. What I ultimately ended up doing was put up a shower curtain to separate the area the cockatiel cage is in from the rest of the room. Rowan doesn't care enough to bother going around the curtain, so I haven't had a single problem since - and when I can supervise extra closely to make sure the boys don't fly under or around the curtain, I can let all four birds out together safely.

The only problem is it doesn't look great. :rolleyes: