• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Swollen & Red Eye

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I really can't answer that. i'd steer clear of human eyedrops like visine. I'd stick with the solution used for contact lens users. You might also want to pick up a couple of eyedroppers to use to apply the drops to the eyes if the solution bottle does not have a controled dropper tip.
Okay, I am writing this down now. I am pretty sure I'll be able to get that, don't see why I wouldn't be able to!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Danita, once I got the yucky stuff out from under the eye membrane it improved rather quickly. And the Optique solution helped with lessening the redness.

If left unattended over a week or two the mass would have swelled to 1/8" in size, and have looked like a tumor. I have seen some birds where the mass was so huge that it forced the eye closed. Owners wouldn't take them to the vet, and an inexperienced vet is going to put the bird on antibioics, which does not correct the problem. When I see someones pet bird like this I show them how to express the stuff from the eye, and how to clean it, and send them to the vet for an eye drop solution.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I will!

I am wondering if it's conjunctivitis now.. one of my eyes is starting to 'clog up' and it's really, really itchy. :( I've been washing my hands really well, but obviously not well enough.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Ranae,

How is he doing?

One other thing, especially with tiels, that can inflame or irrate the eye is giradia. Giarida interfers with nutrient absorption, especially beta-caotene which the body converts to useable Vit A. This nutrient is essential for healthy membranes, such as the eye tissue.

baby_grl4lyfe90

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a cockatiel she may have scratched her eye its swollen, anything I can do to help it till I can get her to the vet?

Echolicious

Moving in
Real Name
S
Guys .

My bird has any eye injury too . He's a 5 year old alex. I took him to get his nails and wings done and I guess they accidently hot his eye . Ofcourse they won't accept it -.- anyways his eye is hurting him and he keeps closing it . I keep reading saline drops are the best . Can anyone show me a picture of a good brand of saline drops ? I have contact lenses solution (optifresh) but I'm not sure if that's safe . If anyone can recommend any safe saline drops is appreciate it . Thank you.

Echolicious

Moving in
Real Name
S
Is equate saline solution for contact lenses okay to use for my Alexs eye ?