• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Switching Senegal Parrots' Diet: Opinions?

Gallows

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Hello! I was at the vet's office recently, and I saw that they had trial packets of Harrison's bird food. They also had a feeding guide by Harrison's. There were a couple of points in the handbook that made me question my current feeding choices, so I started researching at home. I initially wanted to discuss the food change with my vet (and I plan to, this weekend), but I felt that he would have been biased, seeing as their office seems to push Harrison's.

In any case, I usually feed a mix of Zupreem FruitBlend (~30%) + Naturals (~70%). I was already a little iffy about the fact that Zupreem FruitBlend used artificial colors, but the birds seemed to like it, and I never heard a definite reason not to feed it. With that being said, I'd love to hear some opinions on that matter, too!

The Harrison's handbook suggested the High Potency Coarse formula for senegal parrots. I took two trial packets home and allowed my birds to test it. Surprisingly, they seemed willing to eat it! Unsurprisingly, they both preferred the taste of the FruitBlend. Even so, now that I know that they would both be able to comfortably transition, I'm more open to the idea of changing their diet.

I would be eternally grateful if someone could make a little list of pros and cons between the foods!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well, Zupreem has sugar and artificial colors

Harrison's has more quality ingredients (not just corn, soy, and wheat) and is organic. They also have an extremely low tolerance for mycotoxins in their ingredients and finished product which can be very hard on the liver over time. Additionally, harrison's has more Vitamin A and poicephalus are prone to Vitamin A deficiency.

I don't hate Zupreem because it is a fair food especially for birds transitioning from a different diet. It also is at a more affordable price point than Harrison's for a lot of people. But if my Jardine's ate Harrison's willingly I'd switch him off the Zupreem he is eating now without a 2nd thought :)

Attycakes

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
I don't know much about Zupreem so I can't really provide a good pros and cons list. However I can chime in about the Harrison's. Our two senegals LOVE it and it is pretty much all they have ever eaten since day one. We have never had any issues with the brand and whenever the fids go in for their yearly routine check up, they always get great compliments on their feathers and weight. I think it is a fantastic brand of pellets and love that it is organic as well. My vet also carries Harrison's and it is actually the only place around here that you can get it unless I order it online.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I am switching my poi boi over to Harrison's, as soon as it gets here. Monday it should be delivered. :rolleyes: I have also ordered Goldenfeast for both my Red bellied and my parakeet. I love Goldenfeast, I love the way it smells, and all my birds over the years did great on it. I dont have any cons to mention. Other then its taking so long for the food to get here. :p

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am switching my poi boi over to Harrison's, as soon as it gets here. Monday it should be delivered. :rolleyes: I have also ordered Goldenfeast for both my Red bellied and my parakeet. I love Goldenfeast, I love the way it smells, and all my birds over the years did great on it. I dont have any cons to mention. Other then its taking so long for the food to get here. :p

The only downside is that Goldenfeast doesnt have Vitamin D3 which is problematic for some of us that can't take their birds out a few times a week year round!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I might try the Harrisons with my Senegal. I sent the company a message to see if they would send me some samples. I keep trying the Caitec OFBs with him and he won't touch them. The rest of my Pois love the OFBs.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
The only downside is that Goldenfeast doesnt have Vitamin D3 which is problematic for some of us that can't take their birds out a few times a week year round!
I hear ya, I live in Hawaii, Vit D3 isnt a problem here.