• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Switching diets - advice?

elizamall

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz
Hi, this is my first post in this part of the forum.

My baby is almost 5 months old.
I brought her home from the shop with the food they were feeding her. It’s a mix of pelleted foods, plus dried fruit and vegetables and nuts. She loves it, but it’s a proprietary blend and the store is several hours away.

I’m trying to switch her to a mostly fresh diet with some pellet. I bought Tops pellet - she hates them. After only eating her food and leaving the pellet, I tried making gloop. I’m on day two of feeding the gloop with her food on top.

She will eat fresh green been and sugar snaps.

She doesn’t seem to like the gloop. I’m not sure if it’s consistency or flavor. She’s getting some because, well, it’s sticky. But I’m concerned about he losing too much weight.

Suggestions? I’ve never done a diet change and I’m worried about her wellbeing more than anything.

Thanks so much!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Welcome to AA and congratulations on your new bird! So she was eating pellets, nuts, dried fruit, and dried veggies? I would keep feeding her these things while you add new foods. What is gloop? Maybe it’s the wrong texture for her? The foods she was eating sound good, and parrots should also have a high quality seed mix in their diet too. Adding more fresh foods and making sure she eats the pellets is important, but any changes have to be done slowly so your bird doesn’t go hungry. Tops is good addition, but not a complete pellet, so giving her something like Harrisons, Roudybush, zupreem, etc. would be a good idea. I would get a scale and weigh her so you know that she’s not loosing weight. You can look up the many posts on here for suggestions on how to change birds diet.

elizamall

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz
Thank you very much!

I made a batch of cooked grain and bean.
Quinoa, barley, millet, kamut and Teff with black eyed peas. This is what I was putting her food on.
I have no idea which pellet they were using. I’m nervous about synthetic vitamins in some of the food.
I might try sprouting the grain mix (minus the cow peas).

Welcome to AA and congratulations on your new bird! So she was eating pellets, nuts, dried fruit, and dried veggies? I would keep feeding her these things while you add new foods. What is gloop? Maybe it’s the wrong texture for her? The foods she was eating sound good, and parrots should also have a high quality seed mix in their diet too. Adding more fresh foods and making sure she eats the pellets is important, but any changes have to be done slowly so your bird doesn’t go hungry. Tops is good addition, but not a complete pellet, so giving her something like Harrisons, Roudybush, zupreem, etc. would be a good idea. I would get a scale and weigh her so you know that she’s not loosing weight. You can look up the many posts on here for suggestions on how to change birds diet.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are you referring to the budgie in your avitar? If so and you do not want to feed synthetic vitamins are you wanting to get all vitamins from fresh foods? We have a vendor here that has that to sell and she is wonderful. @Unapproved Vendor's Dailies offers so much in the way of nutrition. I feed Goldenfeast Goldn'obles pellets for small beaks. I like Goldenfeast bird food because they do not use fillers such as corn. I no longer feed any corn to my birds. You will find complete line of food on Goldenfeast Direct.

Chop Shop – Unapproved Vendor's Dailies

elizamall

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz
Hello, no not Cheeky :)

My new girl Is a Cape. I was actually going to buy from Unapproved Vendor’s before she arrived, but the shipping on a small bag if chop didn’t make sense. I figured once I got an idea of what she might like I’d try again.

Yes, I’d like to get as much from fresh food as possible. Sorry, I was not very clear at all!

Are you referring to the budgie in your avitar? If so and you do not want to feed synthetic vitamins are you wanting to get all vitamins from fresh foods? We have a vendor here that has that to sell and she is wonderful. @Unapproved Vendor's Dailies offers so much in the way of nutrition. I feed Goldenfeast Goldn'obles pellets for small beaks. I like Goldenfeast bird food because they do not use fillers such as corn. I no longer feed any corn to my birds. You will find complete line of food on Goldenfeast Direct.

Chop Shop – Unapproved Vendor's Dailies

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
She charges a flat $10. for shipping I believe. Can you please post a photo of Cape. Thanks

Wayley's Dailies

Hit the Road
Real Name
Marsha
Hello, no not Cheeky :)

My new girl Is a Cape. I was actually going to buy from Unapproved Vendor’s before she arrived, but the shipping on a small bag if chop didn’t make sense. I figured once I got an idea of what she might like I’d try again.

Yes, I’d like to get as much from fresh food as possible. Sorry, I was not very clear at all!
Yep, Shipping on ALL orders is just $10 now, so while that might seem a bit high for just a single bag of chop, it is also just $10 on orders much larger! I have all Human Grade whole foods, everything from pellet alternatives to seed alternative diets, as well as fun treats, healthy mashes, oats... :)

elizamall

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz
Exactly why I was waiting to see what her preferences are. $10 flat is great if you’re planning to order more than a small bag of chop.

What do you put in your better bites of peanut isn’t an option? I have a family member with a peanut allergy. That stopped me from trying those :(

Yep, Shipping on ALL orders is just $10 now, so while that might seem a bit high for just a single bag of chop, it is also just $10 on orders much larger! I have all Human Grade whole foods, everything from pellet alternatives to seed alternative diets, as well as fun treats, healthy mashes, oats... :)

Wayley's Dailies

Hit the Road
Real Name
Marsha
Exactly why I was waiting to see what her preferences are. $10 flat is great if you’re planning to order more than a small bag of chop.

What do you put in your better bites of peanut isn’t an option? I have a family member with a peanut allergy. That stopped me from trying those :(
Peanut Allergy is no problem for us! We have several clients with peanut allergies, or wheat/gluten allergies/celiac disease. We set aside a day each week (currently it's on Saturdays) to do our special orders. When we can't use peanut butter as a binding agent we replace it with Applesauce. :) We also have a new low fat Better Bite made that way all the time, too!