• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Switch to pellets

Carolinesh

Checking out the neighborhood
I stumbled across this site and hope to learn more about my sun consure. I've had her for about 7 years and we are very attached to each other :) she eats birdie bread daily, and a nut/seed/fruit etc. Mix, plus fresh fruit, yogurt, and baby food, since she won't eat fresh veggies, and all organic. I've read good pellets are best, any advice on getting her switched?

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
I have never used pellets because I feel it is better for the bird to eat the seed mixes. This isn't everyones opinion and I know lots of people prefer them or like to mix their seeds/fruit mix with the pellets if they suit. I think introduce it a bit at a time just up the level of pellets each time until she is used to them. I don't have a sun conure so I don't really know about their diet. I would say keep it as it is, but change to pellets if you get some good advice on them. Anyway, welcome!! :heart::heart:

AvianCrew

Real Name
michelle
Grind up the pellets. Add water. Mix with seeds. Mix in birdie bread. Get rid of the seed diet.
good pellets: *note: tops has NO vitamin D*
Zupreem (natural) (fruitblend) (veggieblend) (nutblend) (pure fun)
Harrisons (adult lifetime coarse) (lifetime pepper coarse) (high potency)
Tropican
Kaytee (exact) (supreme)
Roudybush (daily maintenance)
TOPS
Lafeber

Harleyandme

Grind up the pellets. Add water. Mix with seeds. Mix in birdie bread. Get rid of the seed diet.
good pellets: *note: tops has NO vitamin D*
Zupreem (natural) (fruitblend) (veggieblend) (nutblend) (pure fun)
Harrisons (adult lifetime coarse) (lifetime pepper coarse) (high potency)
Tropican
Kaytee (exact) (supreme)
Roudybush (daily maintenance)
TOPS
Lafeber
Are pellets easier to clean up than seeds (no seed husks/debris)?

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I have found the easiest pellets to convert to are the zupreem fruit. After that mine readily took to roudybush. They hate Harrison's but will eat it if I don't offer the others.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! :)

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
My girl easily took to TOPS (totally organic pellets) after three years of nothing but seed mix. I purchased roudybush, TOPS, Harrison's, and zupreem natural and offered a bowl fist thing in the morning for an hour. Day one and she devoured the TOPS. Won't touch Harrison's or roudybush but now also loves zupreem natural so I offer both now. Try different ones....your bird may surprise you and take to one of them quickly! They are more messy with pellets than seeds I think. At least my girl is because she holds the pellet with her foot to eat it so it falls all over and tops is softer than the other pellets so they crumble into powder easily. With the seeds she tended to keep her head over the bowl.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!