• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Swelling near elbow

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Somehome my little echo sustained a micro injury to his right wing on his elbow. I think he fell off his boing rope being the rough nut that he is.

So many visits to vet and nothing is resolving it. All tests have come back to a chronic inflammatory injury filled with synovial fluid. Starting to worry me that the inflammation has been there that long it will become arthritic once swelling gone. We have had it drained twice and strapped (this last one was a disaster as he stopped eating drinking and pooing). AV wanted me to leave him there but i refused. Thankfully i didnt as clearly he was way to stressed with it all and the strapping had to come off. It was the most stressful thingto watch. He was only settled on my shoulder but not enough to eat or drink.

The interesting part is that hes flying is the same. He can land and perform all manovers without any issues so the AV says its not broken. Ive had to take matters in my own hands as nothing was working at 3 weeks later. I have decided to restrict all flying and flapping while giving anti inflammatories a good chance to kick in.

Hes been such a trooper. Hes in a tiny cage that wont allow wings to open and flap but can stretch each one by itself. Its been a week and its gone down by half. Fingers crossed another week and its goes down further. If it doesnt i dont know what else to do and the AV has no more ideas on how to resolve this.

Im just so amazed with echos whole attitude. Hes never been this restricted and ges coping so well. There's been no screaming or protesting. He comes for cuddles mornings and nights. Still has his regular showers and rest of time i wheel his little cage around the house with me or try give him a different view. I rotate his foot toys daily. Im now adding tumeric to his diet and looking at other natural anti-inflammatory foods to add. Just dont know what else to do.

Does anyone know how long a fracture takes to heal in parrots?

Or has anyones eckie developed something similar?

Any ideas or thoughts would be very appreciated.

We are going away at end of September so hoping its better by then as the little bugger is coming with us. He loves being in his harness and the community and really dont want him stuck in a cage the whole time. We do have a pak o bird that we are using atm so he can can have sone outings still but its just nit the same.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He has a fracture? That's a good 4 to 6 weeks cage rest with added calcium for bone healing. What anti inflammatory is he on? Metacam?,

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He has a fracture? That's a good 4 to 6 weeks cage rest with added calcium for bone healing. What anti inflammatory is he on? Metacam?,
AV doesn't think its a fracture as the precision he was flying in when it was at its worse was far to good. Im thinking he has a very tiny one based on how much it swelled and that its taking so long to heal. Xrays were never done as the clinical picture didnt indicate it. I feel its too late now and dont really want him gassed for 3rd time. Vet says the plan wouldn't change anyway regardless of results. So ive made the call to put him on cage rest and continue meds longer as they seam to be working. Yes its metacam. Ive heard mixed reviews on the drug but he tolerates it well. I have been adding calcium and vit d to water too. He gets tumeric grated into food and a cherrie a day to help with gout/inflammation.

Its down a lot so i can feel the bone very well just some residual swelling towards the right of it. Little bugger got free and took advantage of some laps around room last night and in the dark. He never flys in dark or at night. I don't blame him but just annoyed it might have set things back a bit. He was so desperate and very proud of himself afterwards.

Do you think hes likely to get arthritis in this? Hes only 2 yrs old so hoping as young bird will heal really well. Hes in excellent health otherwise. All blood work is great.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Metacam is the best since its anti inflammatory and a pain med
.as for the arthritis ,,,hes young, may not show up for years just give him scritches for me..sounds like hes doing ok

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@Birdbabe will do but can only be done at night. During the day he hates to be patted or scratched, but at night turns into a cuddle monster.

Do you think there is a way to avoid the arthritis full stop?

It was suggested to use glucosamine.

I feel like i failed him in some way. Like we try take such good care of him and somehow this lump appeared.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You didn't fail him, you noticed something was wrong and took him in..Ive an old rescue dove that has arthritis in her hips, she gets her metacam when the weather turns cold coz it affects her just like us. He will or not develop arthritis in his older years, no one can tell. You are doing great! I'm not familiar with glucosamine for birds. May want to check with your vet on that.:hug8:

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
Unfortunately, birds are delicate and these things are relatively standard injuries especially in the wild. When my sun conure Lily had a slight minor fracture at a year old, my vet told me the most important thing she could do was stretch. Not fly or flap but fully extend. I guess it's too ensure the muscle settles over the bone right as it heals. I had already taught her the 'spread eagle' trick and I had her do it regularly. She's five now and flies without concern.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Unfortunately, birds are delicate and these things are relatively standard injuries especially in the wild. When my sun conure Lily had a slight minor fracture at a year old, my vet told me the most important thing she could do was stretch. Not fly or flap but fully extend. I guess it's too ensure the muscle settles over the bone right as it heals. I had already taught her the 'spread eagle' trick and I had her do it regularly. She's five now and flies without concern.
Yes stretching is very important. My AV was telling me how with birds of prey with breaks go on daily light sedation with gas and staff stretch their wings and massage the area to promote healing and prevent muscle loss.

We left the strapping as a last resort and it still didnt work. Hes much happier having the tape off and being able to stretch despite he's tiny cage. He just needed longer fly/flap restriction which seams to be working well. Hopefully my boy recovers well like Lily. He loves flying. Never known a Parrot to fly sideways to get through a half closed door. Hes extremely acrobatic which is half the problem. Bit of a daredevil. But has never flown into anything. Just some tumbles from loosing grip or miscalculating.