• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

sweet potato

Status
Not open for further replies.

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Hi. Anyone know if it is safe to serve sweet potato raw? Thanks

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know some people run it through the food processor raw and add it to chop, which then gets frozen and thawed. I personally feel more comfortable feeding it cooked.

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I boil sweet potato just until tender (3-4 minutes) then submerge in ice cold water for a few minutes and drain, before I put it in the food processor.

Raw Food Toxins | VegPeace.org
Maybe some birds can handle raw sweet potato, but I wouldn't take a chance with my little guys.

Katster

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
we boil the sweet potato here too. Dante doesn't have it in a daily basis though. He doesn't like it that much. He gets 6-8 bites out of it.

Daisy_G2

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
If you haven't yet, try using white sweet potatoes (with white or yellow flesh inside). Both Baby and Daisy love them cooked. I like them a lot better than regular orange sweet potatoes.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I always cook the sweet potatoes instead of feeding them raw, feels safer to me that way. My birds love sweet potato mixed in their chop mix about once a week or so.. it has a huge vitamin A content!:)

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Ok thanks all. I'll Go with the general consensus. Thanks

Brian/Dayna have not ever seen those types of potatoes but I wasn't looking for then either. Will next time I go to the store. Thanks

MacDaddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bob
My girls love sweet potato, I use it raw in chop, and I feed it baked as well. Hys can be problematic feeders and one food they seem to love is sweet potato and it is a great food!!

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I used to feed raw sweet potatoes before I found out it was toxic. I never had an issue but the toxins may build in the body and the bird may not show signs right away.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
All potatoes are related to the deadly nighshade family of plants. It is safer to cook them. One note, when you feed white sweet potatoes, which are native to Africa, you lose the best reason for feeding them: the high vitamin A content. I really don't see a reason to feed white sweet potatoes; might as well just give plain potatoes.

There is a Unicef program through the UN and the World Food Bank to give the orange sweet potatoes to the women in villiages in Africa to eradicate vitamin A deficiency in Africa. The women, who control the things in the gardens, have embraced the new potatoe and they are finding many less A deficiency problems in the populations just in a short two year time period. When you take a minute to realize how much vitamin A influences eye health, you can see how wonderful a change this is.

OSUtoo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Brittany
I always cook them. Makes me feel better. :)

I'm just glad Malley likes sweet potatoes since they are one of those veggies that is really great. I didn't think I'd have a problem since he seems to like other versions of potatoes (bird after my own heart, hehe), and I'm glad he liked them from the start. There's a sweet potato out in the kitchen right now as a matter of fact, that I'm going to cook up and share with him tomorrow evening. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.