• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sweet Pea's check up and the day

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
at the clinic.
Today was tiring for both of us. We didn't have to be there until noon. Miss Sweet Pea was in mood from the time we got up. She just wasn't having it today, breakfast was like meh, nope, not eating today. I put the travel cage together last night out of her sight. About 11am, Nick called saying he was leaving his place, with Fast Freddie and Little Eddie. Ok little girl into your cage, NOPE. I finally got her in the cage, doors zip tied closed, covered. Nick was downstairs waiting for us. The big guys were squawking, as I got my girl buckled in place. Freddie was in a mood too, screaming his beak off. He was just mad, somebody (me) didn't greet him. Any way we beat feet to the clinic. I carried my girl indoor, straight to the exam room with Andrea. Dr Tony came in with his soft voice not to scare Sweet Pea. She weigh 96grams, she was glad to get out of her cage. She did lap around the room about head level, landing on Tony's head. "Good work there Sweet Pea." We discussed the egg laying, she was do with one this morning, No egg, testosterone was discussed, as was lupron. It was decided to leave this until another visit in September. They drew blood, fecal swab, and full body X- ray. She was glad to cuddle with mom for few minutes. Went back into her cage willingly. They saved her birdie muffin. I took her to Dr Barb's office while I worked, it quiet there, no big birds to scare a little tiel. I'll write more later.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Well...maybe she has had enough "stress" to stop the egg-laying for awhile. The bite from Bebe, the blood draw, exam, fecal swab, x-ray...Any particular reason for the x-ray?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
It was just to check her toe and general bone health. Dr Tony said her bones are strong no calcium depletion. He said to keep up with powdered calcium daily, and liquid calcium 3times a week. She was super glad to get a treat and some peace and quiet in Dr Barb's office .
@aooratrix , the Macs were all in pretty good moods, there was a few flare ups but not like a few weeks ago, where everybody was in full hormone rage. The only bird missing was Charlie the big scarlet, his name is now Charlene cuz he laid a egg on Thursday. LOL!!! Dr Barb was shocked, for the 15years she has had Charlie, she has always thought Charlie was male. Guess even a vet can be fooled.
We packed boxes for the Guatemala sanctuary, because they are in dire straits, for supplies. Mostly feeding syringes, parrot baby food, bandages, vet wrap and some used clothing used at packing material. 5boxes at 20lbs a piece that will be shipped Monday.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
She was always an independent little girl (in size) not in attitude. I hope she's okay.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
We sat down for afternoon coffee break, Dr Paul came in with Dr Tony's daughter Cami, of course bringing a home made walnut cake and bear claws the size of my head. The macaws all had salad with walnut at the bottom of their bowls. Monster stayed home becuz Cami was with gr'pa.
We will be meeting next week at Dr Barb's to gather the rest of the parrot mission stuff into one area.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
We sat down for afternoon coffee break, Dr Paul came in with Dr Tony's daughter Cami, of course bringing a home made walnut cake and bear claws the size of my head. The macaws all had salad with walnut at the bottom of their bowls. Monster stayed home becuz Cami was with gr'pa.
We will be meeting next week at Dr Barb's to gather the rest of the parrot mission stuff into one area.
Just remind her to only use bottled water, preferably fizzy. She can also ask her md for tabs to take to prevent any (ahem) tummy disasters. No tap water, NO streams and if possible at least boil any water you are going to drink or use to brush your teeth.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Yup she is shipping some fizzy water down b/4 she leaves. She bought a water filtration system from REI b/4 she went to Brazil. She has to go the rabies series b/4 Guatemala. It highly recommend. OUCH

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Better safe than sorry. Ask her md for tablets that can be added to water to avoid (ahem) tummy hiccups. I have a stomach issue IBSD and my GP rxd Hyoscyamine. It won't cure a tummy hiccup but it stops the spasms that'll make you run for the neares toilet, bush, hole in the ground. Just a thought.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'll tell her.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
She's got 'tude alright. But it comes to Bebe she highly cautious about him. He has tried to snag her toes b/4, but this time he was lightening quick. I weighed him last night, guess who is on diet now? 112grams holy cr@p.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Great news!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Yea now if little girl stays egg free for awhile mama will be happy too.
I'm wiped out tonight, did all my banking, bill paying, some shopping, and whole heck of alot of sweating, today. 2.83 miles, 7224 steps today. The two got food &nutriberries. Mom got better charging cable for this phone, and some very sore toes tonight.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@CeciliaZ I think I have found at for Sweet Pea, her triggers for egg laying . Keeping her food quantity to just 2 tbls of her seed mix with breakfast of sweet potato mash, worldly cuisines and fresh veggies to 14 grams plus her calcium whether liquid or powdered. Removing her triggers her cage, that includes her sleeping perch, some of her dowel perches, anything that she can rub on. I'll try tovget picture of this later

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
So far so good, I hope she continues not to lay!

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
@CeciliaZ I think I have found at for Sweet Pea, her triggers for egg laying . Keeping her food quantity to just 2 tbls of her seed mix with breakfast of sweet potato mash, worldly cuisines and fresh veggies to 14 grams plus her calcium whether liquid or powdered. Removing her triggers her cage, that includes her sleeping perch, some of her dowel perches, anything that she can rub on. I'll try tovget picture of this later
I admit...I do not measure the birds' food. Is the 2 tbsp. considerably less than what you were used to giving her? I agree about the triggers in the cage - for my Lily - she loved her platform perches. I have even switched her cage several times. And the day I took her for her Lupron shot - she was backed into the corner of the carrier doing her hormonal chirps. As long as she is not laying she shares a cage with another tiel - so I am not sure how I would ration her food. Putting her in a cage by herself also seems to be one of Lily's triggers.