• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sweet Pea goes to the bright side.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
got a phone call this morning, Ellen did not make it. what a horrible loss for both for their family and for the Native American community. Rest in Peace both Elaine and Ellen. it saddens me in this world of technology, that overly tired truckers are still driving and not following DOT rules. too many of them fudge their books and aren't caught at it. one of my uncles is long haul trucker, use to fudge his books, he got caught, $5,000+ in fines, both federal and state. he now keeps his books on a lap top and put dash cams in the truck both facing the road and facing the sleeper. they are hooked to the lap top also.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How very sad. Rest In Peace Ellen.:sorrow:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
some birdy laid another egg this morning

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh shoot!:( She's on another roll I guess. Did you try the tea yet?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
yup , she is get both liquid red raspberry leave tea, plus dry tea mixed in with her soft food and also in her seeds. I get major case of stink eye giving liquid with a syringe, she shakes a lot of it out of her beak. I knew I should start syringe training a long time ago. dang me

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I'm sorry your girl is having issues with egg laying but Please let me know if anything your doing helps, my cockateil has laid 14 eggs since mid may. We tried covering her cage early and getting dummy eggs but she's still laying . She actually sat on her eggs for the first time last night , she's never done this before, she would just roll them around . We are giving her calcium supplements as recommended by her vet and she's always has a cuttlebone , but I wish I could get her to stop laying, her longest gap was about three weeks but she has since re-started laying

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I'm sorry your girl is having issues with egg laying but Please let me know if anything your doing helps, my cockateil has laid 14 eggs since mid may. We tried covering her cage early and getting dummy eggs but she's still laying . She actually sat on her eggs for the first time last night , she's never done this before, she would just roll them around . We are giving her calcium supplements as recommended by her vet and she's always has a cuttlebone , but I wish I could get her to stop laying, her longest gap was about three weeks but she has since re-started laying
have you tried light blast, move the cage to brightest area you have, preferably in front of window. put a light on a timer, 100W bulb, 22 to 24 hours a day for 3 day, don't cover the cage completely. with Sweet Pea, I covered about 1/4 of the on the far side of the cage away from the light. the light should shine right into the cage the whole time. after 3 days, add one hour of darkness every 2 to 3 days. I did this by adding that hour alternating between middle of the night, next hour in the morning. reduce her rations (food), so if she get 10 grams of food, she now gets 7grams . watch her weight carefully, weight her every morning. if her weight falls too much, add 1 gram of food. during the light blast time, give her lots to do, forging treats, toys to play with, just stuff to keep her busy.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
the memorial service was today for both Elaine and Ellen. 'G' and I went along with Dr. Tony, Dr. Barb and most of the staff from the clinic. neither of the ladies had children and their pets were their kids. Ellen left behind 3 cats, Elaine 6 birds. the birds are doing ok, the one macaw has went back to plucking and is now on Avicalm & chamomile tea. Dr. Paul is home and loved 'Monster's Excellent Adventure' they are still finding more stuff that he got into, including a box of vet wrap that now has holes in every pouch. and a box air filters that are hole punched. he left 'presents' every where. he is at home now.