• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sweet Pea goes to the bright side.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I feel so bad that you are going through all this with a little fid I sent your way - I really do feel guilty. :sadhug2::sadhug2:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
don't feel guilty, she is girl, a super girl. :holiday1 and she is being the girl, she is. I love her so much and she is so spoiled. how many birds do you know that have electronic friends to chirp at them as they jump around in their cages? both mine do, it more so they have friend when mom isn't home. Sweet Pea chirps just like her pal.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Dr. Barb had her 2nd Carpel Tunnel surgery this week, she ended up staying over night in the hospital due to bleeding problems. she is home now and resting.
Dr. Tony is up to his tush in orphans at the clinic right now. one of their client's passed away unexpectedly at the young age of 42 years old, leaving behind 6 birds; 2 cockatiels, 2 lovebirds and 2 macaws. years ago, she use to be tech at a different clinic that Dr. Barb worked at. after Dr. Barb started her own clinic, she came to work for Dr. Barb until she married, then she became client and foster for birds for the clinic. she kept the 6 birds because they were all special needs birds. one of the cockatiels is blind, the other is missing toes. the lovebirds are both elderly with kidney problems. the 2 macaws both have liver problems. she has foster as many 20 other birds for the clinic, over the years. the hubby is heartbroken and has no idea how to care for the 6. she died in car accident with her sister being seriously injured in SD. I met her several times being volunteer at the clinic. Rest In Peace Elaine.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How sad, my thoughts are with Elaine's husband, you, the poor birds, and all who knew her. It sounds like she was a wonderful person.:sorrow:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How sad,,I hope her babies find good homes, if her husband can't deal with it... Fly free Elaine, with all birdies at the rainbow bridge.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:sorrow:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Thank you all. after talking with 'G' this afternoon, I want to be physically sick, hearing of the horrible accident with semi truck. from what I understand which isn't much, Elaine's sister was some type of volunteer that would bring gently used school books to different Native American reservations. they were doing just that to Pine Ridge, bringing school books. their Chevy Suburban was broad sided by overly tired truck driver. the trucker died also. RIP to him also. Elaine's sister was air lifted to Pierre, SD, in grave condition. She is in the ICU.
'G' said that the clinic is over flowing right now with furred and feathered friends. Dr. Paul will be back from vacation on Monday, Dr. Barb's son is filling in right now to help as much as possible.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a horrible accident. While doing something nice too, it's just not fair. Sending good thoughts for her sister in ICU.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I will be going in this weekend to volunteer. I got a phone call this AM from Dr. Tony asking if I was will to come in with 'G' on Saturday. of course, I will go, they need help. Dr. Tony said that there are Elaine's 6, plus 2 boarded birds one being Monster. the cat area has 4 kitties and the dog area has 4 pups. although I will not be the only volunteer, there will one each for cat and dog areas.
'G' said it's been a zoo ++ with 2 vets out either on medical or vacation, plus they lost 3 techs this summer too. the one was not a good tech JMHO, she was snippy with me and Sweet Pea the last visit. I was not pleased at all with her attitude and told her to allow me to get my girl out of her travel cage. she said she could do it herself, hmmmmmmmm that didn't go well at all. Sweet Pea who is normally so good about coming out, balked and was like 'mama rescue me from this ding a ling'. Nick came in to love on the little Sweet Pea and she loves Nick normally, but not that day. the other two both left without notice after she did. Nick's quote "NO GREAT LOSS with ANY OF THEM!!!!!!!" :mad2: He said they were non starters from the get go, and left the exams room a disaster after a visit. that is the one thing that the clinic prides itself on, clean neat exam rooms prior and after each client. the bird exam rooms (4) are wiped down and disinfected between every client as are the 6 exams rooms on the cat and dog side. he also said one of the 3 was 'sitter' meaning her idea of a job was sit on her butt all day. sorry if you have a job that you are required to WORK then WORK.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I am home, what a day. 'G' and I went in early for a couple of reasons, her to be at her daughter's ,Allie, soccer game in Blaine this afternoon, me because it the only way I can get there. the house (clinic) is packed with critters. we barely got in the door and Monster DYHA :dyh: comes strolling out on the floor. :faint: I bent over and he step up on my arm like 'no big deal'. I put him on the Java tree on bird side waiting room, scare to what I would find back in the bird area behind the exam rooms. Whew, everybody was still in their cages. there is poop (Monster's) on the covers, laundry time. as I am uncovering cages, here comes Monster again. WTH, is he walking thru walls? the doors are closed and he can't get them open to my knowledge. 'G' get the computer booted up and starts checking the overnight footage from closing time until we walked in the door. hmmmmmmmmm somebody did not close his cage door tightly before they covered his cage. 11:20pm there he is sliding out from under his cover to the floor, stinker. he wanders around for a bit on the floor and then climbs his way up to the top of his cage, looking right at the camera, NA NA BOO BOO, are you seeing me? he jumps with little flights from cage to cage, to visit every body. BRAT!! 3:45 AM he is on the front desk playing peek a boo with the camera. anything paper on the desk has new punch holes, the calendar, the time cards (yup they still use old fashion time cards), 'G' 's doddle pad. he leaves after about 10minutes, walking back thru the lunch room (human) sits on the couch chuckling to himself, his evil chuckle. he walk over to the table, crawls up the leg and takes a stroll up and down the table and throws everything off the table. and leaves huge 'present' on the table. :rofl:
but how did he get to that side of the clinic? the little kitchen in the bird area has swinging door like restaurants have, guess who figured out how to swing the door. there is slide bolt into the floor, that is suppose to be locked before everyone leaves. that didn't happen either. how did he get back to me in the bird area with 'G' not the seeing him, she was in restroom. she had unlocked the waiting room door for the bird side so I could get back there. it's a Dutch door and I open both sides and swung the upper door back to the wall and hooked it to the wall. Monster the mischief maker. ok to work.
Elaine's birds are there and because they need special meds I am going to wait for Nick and/ or Dr. Tony to get there. but I clean their trays and get breakfast started for everybody. fresh apple slices/ dices, half of birdy muffin, muskmelon balls, and veggie chop (carrots and the greens, green peppers, one finely chopped hot pepper, leaf lettuce and shredded cucumber) for those non fruit eaters. the boarded bird is the sun conure and he is Nick's bff. the 2 macaws are chatter boxes and love to throw everything in their cages around. the lovies are sweet and are the cuddle bugs to each other. the 2 cockatiels are in separate cages. but side by side so they feel safe. Nick walks in the back door with Fast Freddy, my buddy Freddy comes with me into his cage with his breakfast in the waiting area. I had not sanitized the java tree yet. Monster get his breakfast and I bloody well made sure his door was closed and locked. Dr. Tony get there with Peace, breakfast and his cage. then we tackle Elaine's birds, the macaws are syringe trained, whew, they are getting milk thistle/dandelion/and something else. they take their meds like champs. the lovies are both on some type of meds for their kidneys, the one is pretty good about it, the other is just plain frighten and Dr. Tony has to towel him. the 2 cockatiels, the blind one has to have her food in the same place every time, I made a tags for the bar that it sits on so everybody knows where to put her dishes and left a note on the cage too. the other one only has three toes on each foot the 2 forward ones and one back toe. he has several platform perches to rest his feet on. one of them need new padding with gauze and vet wrap. they all got breakfast and I gathered all the water bowls for the dishwasher and clean ones with the Brita filtered water for everybody. the 2 other volunteers get there to take care of cats and dogs. I never did get into the kitty haven area, 2 cats are there with sinus infections (both Persians) and the other 2 are sisters that were spayed yesterday. the pup lounge has 2 feisty pugs, that are both snippy and slower then all get out on their morning walk. one of the other dog is there dealing breathing problems from porcupine quill removal. the other dog is Heinz 57 that needs a tooth removal, because he drools and is on pain meds and antibiotics.
I cleaned our kitchen; sweep and scrubbed the floors and scrubbed the table of Monster poop. found several Monster beak holes in the backs of chairs too. there is beak marks on the couch too. I did 2 loads of laundry all the cage covers plus a load of towels. Nick clean the little kitchen floor of Monster poop. he was everywhere in the little kitchen, found poop on the counter top, in the sink, on dishwasher handle, the faucet. he had nibble or two at the closet door were all the treats are stored. (the only wood door in the kitchen area) 'G' shows everybody "Monster's Great Adventure" on the computer. she saved it for both Dr. Paul and Dr. Barb to see.
this is the first time that Missy the M2 was not with us on Saturday , she is fine but laid 2 eggs in the last 4 days and is snuggled down with her "babies" real or not. she is in no mood for travel.
Elaine's sister is in grave condition and needs our prayers big time. she is on life support and is not doing very good. Elaine's hubby is in SD with his MIL. he sent a picture of the Suburban it was in 2 pieces split in the center. Elaine and Ellen had been at Pow Wow in their honor and were going to the motel to sleep. the accident was not discovered, because it's back roads, for over 45 minutes to a hour. we said prayers for them both at coffee break. I was home by 1 and it's hotter then dickens here too, A/C blasting away.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That's quite the adventure Monster had.

Continued prayers for everyone involved in the accident....

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sounds like Monster had a lot of fun! Still sending prayers for Elaine's sister.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I am still surprised that he didn't set off the alarms for the clinic. the video feed goes to a third party security company. they never called Dr. Tony saying there was something wrong in the building. you would think that a bird loose in the building would be enough to phone some one.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
some birdy laid another egg this AM

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no! I'm sorry, how frustrating. Sweat Pea, that's enough!
:sadhug2:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I have been telling her that for weeks. the last egg was 7/5/17. so she did take a break, just not long enough IMO..

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
No more eggs please, Sweet Pea..