• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sweet Pea goes to the bright side.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
the egg laying has gotten out of hand this year. 20+ eggs since January 1st. after talking both vets Dr. Tony & Dr. Barb several times, doing my own research, both online and in several books, from the clinic. Sweet Pea is going to get light therapy for the next several days to weeks. this is no guarantee that egg laying will stop but it's the last resort that I can try to give her a chance to break the cycle for a while.
3 days ago, she moved to the darker side of the living room, the first day she had her nest box with dummy eggs. she was going to bed at sun down and because her cage cover is black with another cover that is deep navy. she was not uncovered until 9:30- 9:45 AM. the 2nd day, no box just her dummy eggs on couple sheets of paper towels. 3rd day, no eggs. this AM I moved the light source over to beside her cage, replace the light bulb from 60W to 100W. the timer is set for 22 hours of light, above her cage. this light therapy will be for 2 possibly 3 days, with no cover on her cage. of course I am going to get up several times to check on her from the kitchen, to make sure she is safe. before I go to bed myself, she going to get some forging treats, to keep her busy looking around for things to do. after those 2 to 3 days, the light will be reduced to 21-20-19- etc, etc, day by day, until we are back to 10 hour day. I will keep you all posted if this works, fingers crossed.:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
:sadhug2:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Hopefully the therapy will help Sweet Pea...fingers crossed...:fingerscrossed:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope this helps her and the egg laying stops.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I also hope it helps! Good luck! :goodluck:

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I hope this helps - I may have to do something similar for my tiel.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
all I can do is try it and pray that it works. she is too small for implant because that has been discussed with both vets. I am most worried about the night time, she has never been left with her cage uncovered. and I am afraid she will be scared.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, 20 eggs is a lot.:(I hope she will be okay, and that the therapy works! This must be so stressful and hard for you to do.
:hug8:
I know it would be for me because it seems so harsh,:scared2: but it's for the best. I'm sure she will come through it like a trooper, and hopefully she will stop laying!:fingerscrossed:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
it is stressful for both of us. me, thinking that she could get egg bound, it's all those eggs and what it is doing to her body. her, being constantly on those eggs, not eating any more then what she can wolf down, at the same time as taking large poop about once a day. I bust my butt to make sure she eats as healthy as possible.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Best of luck with it. :goodluck: I hope it works
:hug8:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
oh Bebe is in bed, but little girl is pacing her cage. this is going to be a tough night for both of us.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Have you tried the red raspberry leaf? It's been working for Lemmie..won't hurt, it's a natural product..

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I can't find it locally, I finely covered about 1/4 of the cage, just she will settled down a bit. she is so upset I have never seen her like this. the light will go off about 2 AM. and come back on about 4 AM.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
How is Sweet Pea doing? My tiel, Lily has laid 17 eggs since March - I have the same concerns as you do. She had a vet appointment yesterday. We did discuss Lupron? have you considered that - your vet's thoughts on Lupron?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope Sweat Pea is handling the light therapy okay. @CeciliaZ I'm sorry to hear that Lily is having this problem too! :hug8:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Sherbie has laid 11 eggs since Jan. (she actually started in Dec so 14 eggs) I'm not sure if she's going to lay this month or not, but it's about the right time if she did.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
my vet said that Lupron is final resort, but it's beyond my price range right now. she is doing ok, but hates when mama goes to bed and leaves her alone. there is all sorts of sad chirps and last night a bad night fright. thank god I was still up and was able to get to her quickly. took 45 minutes to calm her down.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
my vet said that Lupron is final resort, but it's beyond my price range right now. she is doing ok, but hates when mama goes to bed and leaves her alone. there is all sorts of sad chirps and last night a bad night fright. thank god I was still up and was able to get to her quickly. took 45 minutes to calm her down.
Yeah, at around $100 a shot and they recommend so many... very much out of the budget.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
tonight is the 2nd night of 21 hours of light. there was 3 days of 22 hours, then I added back one hour in AM so instead of 4am the light comes on at 5AM. NO EGGS :yah: but still lots of girly behavior, any time she thinks she can get by it. :naughty:
tomorrow she goes to 20hours of light for 2 days.