• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Surprise Egg Question!

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
Long time no post! I'm still alive and well and still have my two birds, Dawson and Ian. Today I woke up to find that Dawson [a black capped conure], who is almost 4, had laid an [unfertilized] egg. However she showed 0 interest in it and no longer has a nest [in the form of a hut], so the egg just was laid at the bottom of the cage. I took it out as it was cracked.

She laid another one sometime in the last hour or so, and is ignoring it. She's just doing her normal bird routine and not paying any attention to it. Isn't sitting on it or acting different, even if I open the door and reach for it. She's just her normal self.
I don't know when she laid the first one, anytime between 9pm the day before to 10am this morning, and she laid the second egg around 3pm.

I don't have any dummy eggs, though I will order them - I'm more concerned about
1. If I can take this second egg out and
2. If I should be concerned about the time between the eggs? It seems very short. Cockatiels are known to be egg layers, but conures aren't, so should I be as concerned about binding?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hens do not start to incubate (take interest) their eggs until the entire clutch is laid. Most birds will lay at least 2 eggs if not more. If you take eggs away that just gives the bird cause to keep replacing them. Hormones are a biological function that runs on a cycle. Once started it must run its course. A hen will sit on the eggs for about 28 days (depending on species) and when they don't hatch she will "voluntarily" abandon them. On her timetable.

Get those fakes and quit taking them away.

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
Hens do not start to incubate (take interest) their eggs until the entire clutch is laid. Most birds will lay at least 2 eggs if not more. If you take eggs away that just gives the bird cause to keep replacing them. Hormones are a biological function that runs on a cycle. Once started it must run its course. A hen will sit on the eggs for about 28 days (depending on species) and when they don't hatch she will "voluntarily" abandon them. On her timetable.

Get those fakes and quit taking them away.
I took the first egg away because it was quite cracked, and in the past my cockatiel immediately showed interest and continued to have interest long past the eggs rotting. The smell was not good.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you can figure out what the triggers are to her laying eggs and remove them, you may be able to stop her from laying any more eggs.

However, if you cannot figure it out, it's best to save the eggs for her to sit on them.

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
She isn't showing any interest in the egg, at all [she hasn't laid another one]. I removed her hut, something she's had since we got her because she had been shredding it - now I know why and have replaced it with a perch so she still has her favorite sleeping spot.
I'm having trouble finding dummy eggs that aren't chicken-egg sized and also are being sold on Amazon? I really don't trust the site that I find selling dummy eggs, but there's so few options for small eggs. Chicken eggs are just way too big.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John