• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suprising

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
My roommate has a red lored amazon named Tracy. We dont know much about this bird. He's had it for about 8 months? Its NOT tame, and has given my roommate several nasty bites. We do not handle Tracy, we simply enjoy him/her for being beautiful.
Today, i walked into the bird room, and Tracy was perched on a small trash can under Sangria's cage door where sangria likes to spend her time (poop catcher). She is the only one who has an open door policy in the bird room. The doors on Tracy's cage were all closed yet she was out.
A while back, Tracy and Smokey escaped their cage and somehow also got in Moses's cage and almost killed him.
I wasnt sure what to do. I didnt really react, except to start speaking softly to Tracy, asking what he/she was doing out of the cage.....
I picked up a long perch, and walked toward her, trying not to be threatening with the perch. I asked her if she wanted to go back in her house, and tapped her cage softly. I then asked her if she could step up. I did this same routine 3-4 times. Finally i tried to place the perch under her chest, and said step up. She bit the perch and shook it, and pushed it away....but i pushed it back under her chest gently and asked again softly "step up", and she placed a foot on it. I praised her, and said good!!!!
I did this 2 more times until she stepped up on the perch. I was afraid she would walk down the perch and bite me, or frantically fly when i moved it, but she sat still while i opened the cage and gently let her step onto a perch inside.
I do see this bird every day. I rub her head sometimes thru the cage bars when she asks. I feed her treats thru the bars too, but this was a whole new level. Shes very unpredictable, and sometimes tries to bite if you just go near the cage.
Im just very surprised she was so good today, and i was able to get her back into the safety of her cage so easily.
Birds are always amazing me.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
If this bird is aggressive to the other birds, you have to find out how he is getting out of the cage and prevent any more escapes. They are diabolically smart, and will work at something for a long time to figure it out.

Parrots are prey animals, so they can take a long time to trust someone they don't know well. Just go very slow building a relationship with Tracy. Keep feeding him small treats and scratching his head through the bars. Don't do anything to violate the trust and eventually things will get better. I have a BFA who will be 36 in February. My first husband passed away in 2003, and I got married again in 2006. It took my second husband literally 10 years for Sam to accept him. After quite a few bites, they now have a great relationship. Good luck.

AviMom

We are looking for a new cage now. Im a bit afraid of any bird larger than a conure, so im definitely taking my time....im in no rush to hold this bird. I thought it was amazing that he let me get him back in the cage so easily. He has attacked my roommate before when he tried to get Tracy back in the cage.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well lock down all the possible escape routes so you don't end up with hurt or dead birds and maybe you need a camera in there so you can monitor them and possibly see what way he's getting out or is working at to escape. The wifi in home security cameras are pretty reasonable and will send out their captures to your phone or PC so you can check on them and have recordings of what happens. They can pan and tilt remotely and have a microphone and sound so very handy. I like talking to Dobby sometimes during my lunch breaks and just checking on him.

AviMom

Excellent idea!! A monitor would be great, and very useful. No escapes today, thank goodness. I wish they didnt have to be caged at all during the day. They'd be much happier if they'd be nicer. Its not their fault, but without knowing their history, its hard to know how to earn their trust.
I gave them pineapple, and hard boiled egg today and they were very happy. Since ive started them on chop, and healthy snacks, they've been behaving a bit better.
When i say they, im referring to Tracy and Smokey, a CAG. They're bonded cage mates, and an odd pair, but a very smart couple.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge