• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suprelorin Implants and Birds?

Brae

Meeting neighbors
I guess you have a point Laurul. However, I have friends who have had female parakeets who have never laid. Thank you for your reply.

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Our hen is starting to get very hormonal as well. The pair has been mating every day and she's already swollen on the abdomen area. We have an appointment this Saturday morning to see if the vet advises on a new implant.
I don't understand why your vet wants her to lay a clutch in between treatments, do you know why?

Brae

Meeting neighbors
he said to wait until she lays 4 before the implant. Lucky's clutches are usually 8-10 eggs. we have an appointment this Thursday for another implant. i am not sure why he wanted to wait until 4 but that is what he said. we have her on calcium supplements at the moment. she has laid 2 eggs so far. the last one was last night.

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
This is interesting, but I would be afraid to do it, also.
Our cockatiel had many eggs, and although there was a male,
the eggs were not fertile.
They were Phyllis and Ernie, btw, they were 23 when we got them,
and I thought they were somewhat geriatric. I was surprised when Phyllis would
pop out 3-5 eggs every so often.
Our macaw, Lovey, lays an egg or two (only once) about every other month. I haven't kept track.
I should, but other than calcium for stronger shells, I haven't paid too much attention,
except that she acts oddly just before. (As I did before laying MY eggs, lol, jkg)
None of our other girls have laid an egg, knock on wood.
I wonder if there is any negative info on the implants? How many if any, failed, if any birds died due to
a problem with surgery?

OcGalRN

Moving in
It's been ages since i last posted over a month ago when Zoe started laying eggs for the first time. Turns out she doesn't do things half way and today she laid her 22nd egg. Around egg #15 i took her to work for a hormone injection to try to stop it. When it became apparent that the injection hadn't worked i ordered a Suprelorin implant. It came in today and so Zoe had a short anaesthetic while the absolutely enormous implant was placed under her skin and slightly into her breast muscle using the scariest needle i've ever seen. :( I know that Dr Sandy has done this in a 'tiel before with success so fingers crossed Zoe is eggless for the next 12mths (that's how long the implant is supposed to last).

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with these implants or knows of anyone who's used them? The implants were designed to chemically sterilize dogs but have since been used to counteract hormone related behavioural issues (including hormonal aggression in birds) among other things. It just scares me that such an enormous thing is under Zoe's skin. You can just see it poking out under the skin, which is apparently exactly how it was on the tiel. I'm hoping it doesn't annoy Zoe too much. :(
My almost 2 yr. old male hans just had this implant put on him, the vet recommended it due to him really pulling at his wing feathers, plus there's also a bald spot on his shoulder, he said it was a hormonal issue. I saw the needle too, almost fainted! my poor boy! but he tolerated it well, didn't seem to have any pain afterward, he was chatty and eating well. It's been a few days only and I don't see any changes in his behavior but I was warned it would take a while to take effect. How is your bird doing now?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
How is your bird doing now?
Just so you are aware, this thread is 14 years old and this member has not logged in for 10 years. You may not get a response.