• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suprelorin Implants and Birds?

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
My Quaker, Sammy just had his second implant. He did very well with the first one. It is too soon to tell with the second implant. I don't have experience with females and the implant, only male birds. I have heard that sometimes the implant can come out in smaller birds. Is Lucky's implant still intact? Sometimes they can accidentally remove it while preening.

Have you tried altering her day/night cycle? My aunt has a parrotlet that was laying eggs constantly (8 at last count). I suggested that she try alerting the light/dark times for the bird. It actually worked, she has not laid an egg in a couple months! :D

-Nik

Brae

Meeting neighbors
Hi Nik,

I have an appointment this Saturday for the doctor to see if the implant has come out. Thanks for the suggestion.

maddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Malene
:yah:

Sally laid an egg during the night. Been 14 months since she had her Suprelorin implant. It finally wore off. She and Tequila has been mating like maniacs last two weeks or so, so we had a hunch it was time. I'm not yaying because she laid an egg, I'm yaying because the implant lasted so long.

I am thankful that we have had a little more than a year without her endless egglaying. During this time she's become a sweet and happy and a strong bird, and she and I have built a close relationship (she wanted absolutely nothing to do with me before, and tolerated only my husband) and I hope she will remain fond of me as the effect of the implant wears off.

Time to let her have her eggs, a few rounds of them if she likes, a chick even, if she's able, and then - if she goes into chronic egglaying-mode again - a new implant. But that's in the future.

Brae

Meeting neighbors
We took Lucky to her vet about 3 weeks ago. The doctor couldn't tell if the implant was still in. We have let her sit on your 17 fake eggs, but she has laid 4 more. We are about to take her to the vet for another implant in about 20 minutes. Wish us luck as I really hate putting her under and having her go through this. It is either another implant or she will end up dying from laying.:sad10:

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Good Luck..........sending good vibes Lucky's way............

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
WTG, Lucky!!!! You're welcome, Brae................................

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
So glad I found this thread. Read every single comment yesterday.
I also have a chronic egg layer and at the moment it seems like she's producing (if that's the word?) another egg.
She always has problems with her eggs. She's had surgery twice because she couldn't lay them. And before the egg arrives to the vent she gets very swollen (for days and days) and it messes with her respiratory system. I am constatly worried about her, couldn't cope if something went wrong.
She is followed by three vets and one of them says it's because the male feeds her too much food and the other says it's the folicule forming. The latter vet also believes she could have a cyst in her ovaries but doesn't believe it's worth doing an exam because even if she does have one the treatment is hormonal, which is what she's already doing.
The pregnyl shots aren't working and we were considering a lupron implant, but today at the vet we found out they're not for sale here (Portugal), only in Spain :(
I'm sorry about my English

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I meant Follicle, I don't know how to edit posts

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
I know when I was first considering the implant for Sammy they were not sold in the US. I do not know if they are yet. I wonder if your vet could purchase one and import it? I don't know all the rules about stuff like that, its just an idea.

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I asked about that, he said he wasn't allowed.
Only way to get it was to actually go all the way to Spain :(

maddie

Real Name
Malene
Lovebirds, I really really really wish I could purchase it from my AV and DHL it to you to take to your AV, but I guess there's more to it than that... legal issues, import/export issues, and going about it without the shady way just isn't an option. So you'll have to take it as the thought that counts...
I am so fortunate that no only was this procedure open to us and offered to us, it has also solved the problem for now. And it wasn't all that expensive. I guess there's just no guarantee that Sally's next implant will be as successful, but we're def open to give it another go, if she goes on another egg-spree.

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi Maddie, I'm not sure if it's legal or not, I think it depends on the country. Maybe I should start emailing pharmacies and see if something could be arranged. I'm also not sure the implant might spoil in transportation either :/
As a student it's too expensive to go to Spain right now :(

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I think I just found a clinic that sells the implant. Does anyone know if the implants they put in birds are the same used in dogs?
Sorry for highjacking the thread by the way

maddie

Real Name
Malene
:oops: Oh dear, have we hijacked this thread, by keeping it running? If that's the case, pls accept my sincere apologies, Birdybea.

If I remember right, I was googling for any information on Suprelorin when this thread came up and I was just SO happy to find someone who discussed the possibility of an implant. In fact, it's how I found AA in the first place. So I joined, and left a comment, and kept it going.
I've started my own thread, where I will continue to share Sally's progress on/off the implant there, to offer some info that may be helpful for other chronic egglayers:

http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/chronic-egg-laying-on-standby-for-14-months.122344/

Brae

Meeting neighbors
Well, the 2nd implant lasted 5.5 months. 2.5 months longer than the 1st implant. Lucky will be laying again in a few days! Talked to her doctor and he told me to let her lay another clutch before we give her a 3rd implant. I will keep you all posted on how everything goes. I don't know why she is so insistent on laying. It breaks my heart in two! Hugs to all!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
She is insistent on laying eggs because that is her purpose in being a live bird. The only imperative all life has is to reproduce itself. All the other things that happen during the lifetime are is support of that imperitive.