• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suprelorin Implants and Birds?

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Yea!! Keep up the good work Lucky!!!! I am routing for you and Lucky that the implant is a success :dance4:

:hug8:
Cher

Brae

Meeting neighbors
Thanks Cher! I am noticing that she isn't as loving as she was. Which I am sure is a good thing. But I so miss her being a little lover! She is sleeping a lot more than she used to and has gained some weight due to not being as active (which I know isn't good for her). :( However, like I said previously...she is showing absolutely no signs of being hormonal!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I am sorry I missed this!
That is great news that your little budgie is doing well with the implant. Wow, the eggs she must have laid, thank goodness this option is available to you and your little Lucky

Brae

Meeting neighbors
Thanks Dottie. I would have to guess that she has laid around 100 eggs in the past 2 years. So, yes...it is a miracle that this is working for her! :heart:

Brae

Meeting neighbors
I would love to be able to post a video of my little Lucky girl, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Hi Brae,

I am glad that Lucky's implant has kicked in already!! And I know it is hard on you, cause she isn't the "same" little birdie you are used to!! The only thing that concerns me is that she is sleeping a lot now. I know it has only been a short while since the trip to the vets and the putting in of the implant which I am sure was very stressful for her as well as yourself, so if she doesn't get active soon, I think I would give your vet a call just to see if he/she would be concerned about Lucky or if he/she thinks her sleeping is normal. Just as a precaution. If you give him/her a call, please let me know what he says, cause Pebbles' implant never really "kicked" in, so she never went through the whole hormonal withdrawal.;)

Cher

Brae

Meeting neighbors
Thanks Cher! I plan on calling him on Monday. We are going on a 2 week vacation in a week. She always is boarded at the vets. We don't trust her with anyone but them. I will certainly have them keep an eye on her as she is my precious little love! :hug8:

Brae

Meeting neighbors
talked to the doctor. he is not sure if her sleeping all the time is a cause for concern. he said she just has a lot of time on her wings (hands). she will be staying with the doctor for 2 weeks starting next week. they will keep a good eye on her! god bless you all and have a great night!!

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
OOOO....I am glad Doc thinks she is fine!!!! :dance4: Lucky and you will be able to share vacation stories when you return :D Have a wonderful vacation!!!! (and Lucky too)

Cher

maddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Malene
Oh, been too long since I last checked this forum. Cher, if you sent me a friend request, I must've missed it, so sorry. Dunno if you wanna try again. I've probably changed my cover, but profile pic is same or at least very alike. But I'd welcome your friend request, if I receive it. I didn't find you, perhaps you can find me again.

Now, and update on Sally and her Suprelorin implant.

She was implanted on August 9, 2012. About a year ago. Still no egglaying. She has occasionally been mating with Tequila, who, if you remember, is not her love mate, but she tolerates him as part of the flock and probably in some recognition that he is the only one in our little flock of four, two lovies, to humans, who CAN fertilize her eggs :D So she has allowed his attentions, so to speak, but no heart in it, obviously ;-)

So no eggs since the implant. 12 months, and counting.

When we first had her implanted - if you read this and you are new to my story, please look for my previous posts about Suprelorin - we were told that it could last anything between 6 months and two years. Our Vet had little experience with the implant in such a small bird, and we agreed to let her try it on Sally and report back to her continuously how it progresses, as she has other small parrots in her clinic for which the suprelorin implant may help with chronic egglaying.

We are delighted that Sally has been out of her nestbox for a full year. She is and has been the sweetest bird imaginable, the rather unpredicable biting behavior of before the implant is almost gone, she may push away my fingers with her beak if I do something she doesn't like, and do the threatening pose, head down, beak open, but only in extreme cases will she actually bite my fingers. Before her implant, I could barely get to touch her, as she was bonded with my husband alone, but after the implant, I'm fully accepted, EVEN as her snuggle-partner. She is happy to take long naps on my shoulder, leaning against my neck, her head tugged under the wing.

Now we're just waiting for signs that the implant is no longer working.

Her nestbox is on top of our kitchen cupboard and she flies up there to check on things regularly, bringing small pieces of paper or twigs or whatever she can get hold of, so I reckon she keeps it ready for when the time comes. For a while we didn't have the nestbox out for her, but around Christimas she started to build piles of twigs and shredded paper here and there, so we figured it was best to let her have her nest to tend to and that solved the problem.

That's it for now :)

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Hi Maddie,

Me, too!! I don't get a chance to get on here very much anymore.......................
I found you on FB :dance4:. Friend request sent!! I am delighted that Sally is doing so well!! Wow, a good year now. :heart: it!! WTG, little birdie. Pebbles is doing good, also. A little nesty at times, but then I add another hour of darkness for a couple of days, and everything is good again.

Looking forward to seeing you on FB.

Cher

maddie

Real Name
Malene
Cher, still nothing in my friend request list. You sure you got the right me? I think we're a handful of women named Malene Brandt on FB.
Here's my profile pic + cover
fb top.jpg

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Hmmm.........Maddie..............I had the right you :D. I shall try again...................We shall get to you :dancing: (Sent you a PM, too)

Cher

Last edited:

Brae

Meeting neighbors
Update on Lucky: After only 2 months on the implant, Lucky is starting to display hormonal behaviors again! :( I am not sure where to go from here if she does begin to start laying again. We have tried absolutely everything! :confused:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Update on Lucky: After only 2 months on the implant, Lucky is starting to display hormonal behaviors again! :( I am not sure where to go from here if she does begin to start laying again. We have tried absolutely everything! :confused:
Ugh, that's disappointing to hear. I've been considering trying it for Merlin. Definitely I will have to think about that more.

Does Lupron not work at all?

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Hi Brae,

How was your vacation? OOOOO....Lucky is one stubborn birdie (like some birdie I know real well :D). If it helps, I can tell you what my vet said to try along with the implant. Continue the 12 hour sleep pattern (and sometimes a tad more), no mushie foods, no nesting materials, and no sitting on the shoulders (this I find very difficult to do, as Pebbles is used to my shoulders as a "special" place to sit).

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!

Cher

maddie

Real Name
Malene
Brae, Sally showed hormonal behavior too, and too quickly, we thought - that was approx 4 months after she was Suprelorin implanted, and we went OH NO and I have to admit: a few F words too. What to do next?

And for some time we really thought that this was as far as the suprelorin implant would stretch, reporting to our Bird Vet that too bad, that's it! Her response was as ours: OH NO.

But here we are almost 13 months after Sally was implanted. No eggs yet. She's been tending to the nest a lot, which has been going on for the last 9 months or so, occasionally mating with Tequila, periods of very eager shredding paper and twigs and carrying them to her nest to be shredded even more, and a lot of going in and out of the nest, and we've even seen her starting to pluck her downs from her belly area as if readying herself for laying, and we believe we've noticed a few times a beginning swell around the vent, which we have until now thought of as a sure sign of eggs being ready to come out. But - nothing whatsoever.

So various signs from time to time - but NO eggs.

I hope Lucky is going thru the same cycle as Sally and hopefully the same - false - signs of hormonal behavior. Don't give up just yet, Brae :)

Brae

Meeting neighbors
Hi all, Lucky laid her first egg today after 3 months on the implant. We haven't been touching her much (only to get her out of her palace (huge cage, big enough for 4+ Lucky birds)) to put her in her little apartment to take her outside! She arches if we just talk to her! I guess she really loves us! (happy smile for the love she has for us, and sad because she does (bittersweet i think they call it)! I have flooded her (again) with 20 eggs!!! I am lost at what to do next?? i will be calling the vet tomorrow. i don't know where to go from here! thank you all for your support!!!