• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Supplement expiration date...what would you do?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I ordered Duralactin Joint Plus Soft Chews for my dog from Chewy. The first order never shipped so they sent out a replacement which I received yesterday. I was surprised to see that the expiration date is 11/2019. I checked with the company who manufactures the supplement and was told that the date is generally 2 years from the production date. I called Chewy to see if I could get something with a more recent date and was told there was no guarantee of that. I tried to find another supplier and called Allivet (never ordered from them before) and they told me that the expiration date on their product was February 2020, 3 mos. later. Asked if my dog has a reaction to the supplement if they give a refund (I know Chewy will do that.) and I was told "No". Cost is @$40.
Amazon sells the product but two reviews stated that the expiration date was short (like 2 mos).
Would you give the product from Chewy to your dog? Order from Allivet? Has anyone ever ordered from them and, if so, what was your experience? Give Amazon a try? or...
I tried to find a local source so I can actually see the date but can't find anything. Thought if Chewy sold it then maybe Petsmart did, too, but they don't. The company does not send the product directly and the only suggestion was 1800petmeds but they don't sell the joint plus and even if they did would have no clue regarding expiration date. Even called the vet office where it was recommended and they don't sell the product. LOL

Just curious. Maybe I am being too picky regarding the date since it hasn't actually expired yet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am not personally worried about an expiration date until it has passed. The only things that are FDA mandated to have an actual expiration date are infant formulas and drugs. Everything else is voluntary and usually just means that the manufacturer will guarantee the freshness and listed vitamin/supplement content up to that date but not past. Whether it actually goes BAD after that date is another matter and most companies don't do the research into it to find out.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Always wonder when something has a shelf life of 2 years and it's within 3-4 mos. of expiration date when you get the product how that product is stored especially when it states to store in cool, dry location. I really wish I could find a local source so I could actually see the expiration date. I've become very picky when it comes to that although even Rx drugs can sometimes be used past the expiration dates. Sometimes the effectiveness decreases and sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the drug.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes for sure. I guess my thought is, I can't know how it was stored whether it was in a 100 degree storage shed for a couple months or a climate control warehouse for a year. Either way you'll never know!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes for sure. I guess my thought is, I can't know how it was stored whether it was in a 100 degree storage shed for a couple months or a climate control warehouse for a year. Either way you'll never know!
You are right about that. One would never know but a longer expiration date is generally better, IMO. I guess it's probably not worth purchasing from Allivet just to get 3 additional months. At least they can tell you the expiration dates when you call. The container of 90 chews expires 11/20 but I don't want to get that in case Geordie has a reaction to the supplements.