• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Super Chewy Green Cheek ~

TehLizardKing

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Stevie
A couple of months ago, I brought my first GCC, Darcy, into my life... Apart from Mr Darcy, all of my fids are cockatiels, lovies, budgies, etc... dare I say it, they are definiely 'parakeets' as opposed to large parrots (this is in no way meant to be criticising or detrimental, it is merely an observation: my lovliest fid by far is Utsukushi the cockatiel).

Darcy, on the other hand, is by no stretch of the imagination a 'keet; frankly, I unerestimated him.

From the moment he came home, I'd realised just how different he was. I expected a snuggly 'parakeet' (don't really like that term) with a higher then average level of intelligence, but what he turned out to be was a large parrot in a small body. He dominates both the aviary and the house with his puffed-up comical swagger, and when trick-traning time comes around, it is genuinely amazing to see how much he concentrates on getting that high-five just perfect. New things are inspected with vigour as opposed to flown away from, and his penchant for trying new foods really makes everything much easier.

My only 'problem' with the dear fellow is his incessant habit chewing on my hands! His beak is always busy, and whether it be full of food or human flesh, he is not content unless there is something to be chomped. Don't get me wrong, this isn't biting out of spite or frustration... he just really loves chewing. The answer is most probaly no, but is there any way I can combat this? I dont mind him chewing me at all, no matter how much it hurts... but once he breaks the skin and slices in deep, that's where I drop out. I really would not like to use negative reinforcement, but I'm at loss here. He wants to snuggle, so I snuggle him: He chews me simply because he likes simultaneous chewing and scritching... and so I have to stop snuggling him to avoid yelling/jerking away and reinforcing the chomp, and he gets frustrated because I'm not snuggling, so he nips me more to get my attention, and it just escalates from there. I've tried ignoring it, but honestly it is impossble. It ALWAYS breaks the skin, and boy, is it deep. He also loves the taste of blood, too, so when he's bitten, I have to remove my cut from the vicinity and plaster it quickly for fear that he'll start biting just to vampirise me! :wtf:

Any help would be much appreciated guys! Whatever happens, I'll carry on loving the dear chap... but if there is no chance of it ever lessening, even slightly, then I'm going to have to get him a mate and spend less one-on-one time with him (not my favourite option :( )... It's just impossble to bear.

Thaks y'all! :)

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Congrats on your new addition..I really dont have advice for ya .,.but I'll :bump8:for ya...

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Welcome & I'm sure you'll get some advice.
Mostly I'd say try to hold some foot toy or chewy thing in your hand to distract him when he bites.
Get him to play /bite on the toy to take the attention off you.

Cahtie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Misty
Congrats on becoming a Conure's new Chewtoy!! Are you the squeaky kind?

:lol:

Ahem, anyway, everything Camelot said. He needs a foot toy or something to play interference. I'm curious as to how old he is. He may be going through a testing phase. I personally wouldn't completely ignore his bites. He may be testing you,mor in general may not know how rough he's being and so needs to be taught when enough is enough and what appropriate beaking is.

You're going to have to be tough here. If he starts chomping down, even if it doesn't draw blood and is just a pinch, you need to stop snuggling with him immediately. Try a toy to distract him. Be calm and patient but make sure your flesh is out of his mouth. If the toy doesn't work, you may need to completely pull your hands away and ignore him. If he tries to bite something else fleshy after you do that, he may be too excited (which may be causing the behavior), at which point I'd put him on a playtop/gym for some solo play, or in his cage.

Only scratch him and only snuggle him when he's being nice and gentle. He'll either get the point or get the opportunity to learn another valuable birdy skill; Self entertainment via toys in and out of cage.

TehLizardKing

Real Name
Stevie
Thanks guys... Classic Avian Avenue: super quick, super helpful advice already! :D

Pffff, yup, you got it! I'm trying my utmost not to be the squeaky kind, but it ain't easy sometimes. A nice ol' foot toy sounds like a good idea for sure... What do you recommend? Something chewy, leather maybe?

Thanks Cahtie! Yeah-yeah, I'm not 100% sure how old he is either... All I know is he's relatively young because he's just moulting through his first set of adult feathers: his primary flights are still sort of creased from his time spent 'living' (stuffed) in a tupperware pot as a chick :/... I've seen the pictures.

The reason I got him? Absolute pity. I'd been considering a GCC for yonks, but I really wasn't going to just leap in there... Until I saw him.

He was being kept in something that really should not be called a cage, sharing this horrific existence with a rock pebblar and, would you believe it, 4 budgies. The 'cage' was honestly the size of a travelling case I'd use for, like, a single 'tiel.

I came home with all of those birds that day.

I was planning to rehome all of them, but the budgies got cozy in the aviary, and I fell in love with Darcy, so it was only the pebblar that went (she didn't like me at all anyway... I gave her to a very dear and greatly trusted friend of mine who had been yearning to get a parrot for... I'd say about 4-5 years? He's just moved house into somewhere that can nicely accommodate a fid, so it just seemed meant to be). The two are getting in famously, and make the best of friends! :dance5:

Anyway, so how would you go about showing him the boundaries? Do I let out a little squeak and jerk my hand away?... That would certainly be easy lol. I've tried blowing on his head when he bites WAY too hard: that worked for a while, but he really doesn't care that much any more... Oh, also the earthquake arm (only a slight wobble, dont worry, I wasn't shaking him), if I do that he just carries on biting and digs in even deeper because he's terrified (I didn't like that one, he didn't trust me for a day or two after I did it :( )

So, thanks an awful lot guys! Y'all have given me some great tips so far, and I'll certainly be putting them to practice. After I calm down his biting a little, we'll be moving on to harness training. :banghead: :roflmao:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Good you saved him.. I would not sqwauk when he bites. He'll bite you just to make you cry & think its funny.
He's probably going thru puberty & that's often a nippy stage
Good Luck

TehLizardKing

Real Name
Stevie
image.jpg

Mr Darcy (and I) say thanks! I've improvised a little chew-toy until I can find a professional long lasting one, and he loves it! My fingers aren't bleeding for the first time in a while, and we are getting on brilliantly. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
My bird acts exactly like yours. He nibbles and slowly nibbles harder and harder. He does get frustrated though when I try and put him back down when he nibbles to hard and he bites deliberately then. I found that he needs a chew toy. He is constantly wanting to chew unless he wants to cuddle then he will try and "preen" me. I gave him plastic straws and the biting is considerably less. I have a question for you though. When your birdie bites hard and breaks the skin does it get a little swollen? Mine does. Maybe I have a reaction to it.

Blupogu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
sharp no helps....combined with holding his beak wiyh other hand....i learned harder way wiyh my female lovie..I am a pro at that
Basically, u got to be assertive

Gracie Lou

Meeting neighbors
My girl has been non stop chewing or biting since the day I got her. I bought rubber hair ties- she will wear it like a necklace and then chew on it like a pacifier; although, she prefers to chew on me. If they break the skin it can easily get infected. I took mine in to get her beak dulled a bit and have only received broken skin once in the last six months.
thank you and good luck

Blupogu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Maybe i was wrong.....these guys are stubborn......and yes it hurts and keep hurting after hours of the bite.....it stings a lot even if there is no skin breakage....and sharp no doesnt help...
i guess i just have to wait till hormonal phase is over.....