1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sunny's thread

Discussion in 'Conure Court' started by Valkyria, 5/18/17.

1. Valkyria

Valkyria Strolling the yard

I find it so hard to understand how our lovely Sunny got left to be adopted out. Last owners said he was a biter however I see a bird who has been perfectly trained to bluff and make threats, by that same owner that left him behind. eg Sunny screech and put out the beak as a threat, and last owners backed of, reinforcing the behaviour. I haven't forced Sunny to do anything since he moved in, he now comes to me and steps up when asked rather then me trying to force him to be in contact with me. I can actually see a reduction in this behaviour already. However if he for some reason screech, and try to threaten me, I calmly continue with what Im doing calls him a silly boy have a laugh and now he stops a lot faster. He has grabbed my fingers a few times and he is remarkably gentle, in other words even though he sound like he might be ready to kill there is no real intent. I know it's early days however I think His trust in me is slowly growing. He is a talker but not really sure about all he is saying. (He is mumbeling long sentances) I can make out hello boy, wat and bye bye. All my most special animals have all been adopted. I had this boy for a very short time but he has already won my heart :heart: oh and he loves popcorn IMG_5222.JPG IMG_5214.JPG

2. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Thank you for taking Sunny into your home. He's beautiful.

sunnysmom and Valkyria like this.
  3. safehaven

safehaven Sprinting down the street

What a wonderful story! Sounds like Sunny found his forever home:)

sunnysmom and Valkyria like this.
  4. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue

Michelle
    I think people so often have the misperception that a bird in a rescue must be a problem bird. Not true. They just need the right home/right owner. It sounds like Sunny was fortunate enough to find his. :)

Laura729, Hankmacaw and Valkyria like this.
  5. Valkyria

I so agree, I think this goes for all animals in rescues!

sunnysmom likes this.
  6. Ninna

Ninna Meeting neighbors

Kate Pinks
    I find it really heartwarming to read about birds who find the right home after having been misunderstood. It sounds as if he's settled in brilliantly - you must be very proud of him. I hope he continues to flourish. He's very handsome!

7. Valkyria

Thank you for your kind words. Sunny is so awesome , right now he decided to snuggle in under my tshirt and is resting his head on my chest. He just want to be close :heart:

Ninna likes this.
  8. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

carole
    He's beautiful:xflove:Thank you for giving him a home:)

Valkyria likes this.
  9. Valkyria

I actually think I can see a difference in his apperence too, he looks more switched on and less apprehensive about everything. This picture is from our from our breakfast together. I had 2 breakfasts one with evil twins and one with this guy. IMG_5228.JPG

Laura729 and Ninna like this.
  10. Valkyria

Time for an update and all is good, Sunny is fitting in well and he is talking up a storm. Everyday is a display of a new word or sound. He now copy if I laugh or cough as well as making kissing sounds. His favourite words however are f""k, and f""k it and he also make sounds like a beer bottle opening (I didnt teach him this). He allows my room mate to handle him with my supervison and instruction, he needs to be able to as I sometime go away for work. We never pressure Sunny to do anything he doesn't want too, and trust is building Rapidly. He loves his food so its easy to bribe him and yeah he is just as good at making a mess as the evil twins. :blink: IMG_5236.JPG

Ninna, Lwalker and Laura729 like this.
  11. Laura729

Laura729 Jogging around the block

Sunny is adorable! And a lucky boy to have found such a loving home with you! :)

Valkyria likes this.
  12. Valkyria

He sure is adorable, he had his first proper shower today, he has been with me in the shower each morning since I got him, I have sprinkeled him with water however today he was playing with the water coming from the shower. He also rolled over on his back in my lap yesterday playing with my fingers (nibbling them in a none aggressive way, while I scrached his tummy) so many first together.:heart:

Laura729 likes this.
  13. Ninna

Ninna Meeting neighbors

Kate Pinks
    It's great to hear how well he's doing - he sounds like a real sweetheart! He's just blossoming, isn't he - he must be a happy bird. I love how his vocabulary and sound effects give you a glimpse into his past - I wonder if he'll surprise you with any other choice words!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

1. Valkyria