• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sunny Mars, Mars Sunny!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're so cute.

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I don't think Sunny is that crazy about Mars....in past attempts I think he's lunged for him.

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
They are both so cute! I hope they can become friends.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
In time they may get better with each other. It´s going well I´d say :)

Is that Sunnys birth certificate on the wall? That´s so cute ❤

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
In time they may get better with each other. It´s going well I´d say :)

Is that Sunnys birth certificate on the wall? That´s so cute ❤
The breeder gave it to us. They don't sell birds any longer or else we would have gotten Mars from them as well.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That´s too cute ❤

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Soooooo.... the same thing happened today, but this time Sunny went over and started nipping at Mars' beak and Mars backed away. I wasn't there to see it, but my kids were. They think that Sunny was attacking him, not playing. Again, this is Sunny's cage so he is protective of it, we will have to try and arrange a meeting time on neutral ground.

Mars still doesn't like to be handled, so it makes it a bit more difficult. The plan was if they didn't get along was to have Mars go with my son and Sunny go with me.

I hope things will improve over time... We just had such a good experience with Sunny wanting to be handled only after being with us for about two weeks. Mars will eat from my hand, but he won't go on it to eat. From what everyone has said here in the past I just have to be patient.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If it was an attack it will be clear. An open beak slightly tilted up to warn, feathers ruffled, followed by fast agressive jabs. Sometimes, mine will just lunge straight in, no warning. Aldora always gives a warning yet she is notorious for starting the fights.

Don´t let Mars anywhere near Sunnys cage. If you struggle to find a neutral space, try covering Sunnys cage with a bedsheet and moving it to another spot. (make sure you have a little dish of water out incase Sunny wants a drink as he won´t be able to get in his cage)

Only time will tell if they will be friends. I hope they will get on :)

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
As soon as Mars flies to Sunny's cage we go to move him.... usually approaching him and going to grab him does the trick, so even my daughter who is afraid of them can do it. :) (It is so cute seeing her do that)

When Sunny is out of his cage he is usually on my shoulder, some times we let him on his cage. However when he is with me every now and then I go to the tap and let him have a little drink. Just curious, how long can they go without eating and/or drinking? Mars has a habit of trying to knock his food and water dish over. I have put it in the same spot for about a month now and he has been fine until this morning when he knocked his food dish down. My worry is if he knocks his water down when we leave at 7:00 in the morning and we come back at 4:00 would he be okay.... writing this I guess the best solution would be to get a better water dish. :).... I am still curious how long they can go without food and water for. Mars seems a lot more mischievous, so I could see him finding away to get the water out of one of these dishes as well! LOL

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a bottle that is external. Impossible to tip. But I saw someone use a bottle like a rabbit drinking bottle. Great idea, no tipping and no putting food and paper in it.

None of my food bowls can be tipped. So I don´t know how to stop that. Just buy a better one, like you said.

If you invest in a good water / food dispenser, you won´t need to worry about them going without food / water while you are out :)