• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sunday Conure (Hybrid) issue or opinion??

Nano Felle

Moving in
Real Name
Nano Felle
excusme guys, my name is Nano Felle from Indonesia..
i want to ask about "Sunday Conure"..
yesterday i have new baby cute bird form my aviary, the parents is Male Jenday Conure and Female is Sun Conure, beforee i cross the bird form similliar genus "Aratinga Solstitialis" i discussion in another grup, and all members suggest me to remove pair, but i keep asking..why??.. why..?? and why..?
because i think the pair is similiar genus right?? and i think no problem if you breed same genus..
anybody help me to explain about this??
thank you before..
Regards

Nano Felle
11412270_1014319085246955_8503398083932981567_n.jpg 11146188_1014318621913668_7816141094335487612_n.jpg 11217534_1014318858580311_7832694415921814262_n.jpg

alcmene

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Many bird enthusiasts strongly disagree with breeding hybrids because many species of parrots are endangered or have declining numbers in the wild. Mixing different species together muddies up the already limited bloodlines such that, some day, we may lose the pure species to extinction

Chihuahua

In any case, beautiful parents and an adorable chick you've got there :)

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It's simply a matter of keeping species pure.
However, I don't know how hard it is to find suns and jendays in your country, so it might be hard to put together a true pair.
Suns and Jendays are in the same genus, they are very closely related, and in fact are often hybridized. There shouldn't be any health problems with the babies since Suns and Jendays are so similar. And both species are relatively common in the wild. It's only that it is better to keep the species pure if possible.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Also, your pair are most likely bonded with each other and will be unhappy if separated. Instead of making a decision to breed them or find them new mates now, I would remove their nest box. They should have a rest before breeding again anyway.
It will give you time to locate same-species mates for them if you want to do that. It's a hard decision to split up a bonded pair. You may want to just keep them together and limit how much you breed them imo.
The parents and baby all look beautiful.

Nano Felle

Moving in
Real Name
Nano Felle
@alcmene ..so this is only about pure bloodlines? and actually if i plan to breed Hybrid x Pure Aratinga or Hybrid x Hybrid can or can't?
@Chihuahua thank you so much, i like the cute baby, because another baby sunday conure, when i search in google is very different, they are like "Nansun Conure"
@karen256 ..oke karen, thank you for your suggest, the same question if i plan to breed Hybrid x Pure Aratinga or Hybrid x Hybrid can or can't? fertil or infertil the eggs?
@Applebutter ..yaa, can you share your pics sunday conure?

Chihuahua

Off topic a bit but can I ask what kind of mesh you're using? I'm planning an aviary and trying to explore my options.

A nansun is nanday and sun, whereas a sunday is jenday and sun so that might be why you are seeing a difference.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The sun/jenday babies will probably be fertile, I have seen some 2nd generation hybrids. However, some will be mules (healthy but infertile hybrids).

Nano Felle

Moving in
Real Name
Nano Felle
@Chihuahua .. in Indonesia name is kawat ram or wiremesh PVC, 1 roll = 10 meter, price around 10$.. :)
images.jpg
yes, i know nansun and sunday from different parents chihuahua..
anybody can share pics sunday conure??

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Both parent species are gorgeous as is, why create a hybrid?

Hybrids are often mistaken as pure species - what if a breeder that had no interest in hybridizing ended up with a hybrid chick and bred that chick to a pure species and created more hybrids?

Are the hybrids fertile? Yes. If you breed hybrids back to pure, or potentially hybrid x hybrid, you could still end up with hybrids that look like pures and people will mistake them as pures, which leads back to what if a breeder ended up with a hybrid and they didn't want to create hybrids but mistook the hybrid for a pure and created more hybrids?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Its an issue of hybrids being difficult to tell apart from pure species sometimes. If enough hybrids are put into the breeding population, anyone trying to find a mate for a pure sun conure or pure jenday will have to guess. Pure sun conures are gorgeous, pure jendays are also gorgeous because on the contrast of orange and green. A mix is also likely to be gorgeous but with some mottling. Odd green feathers where there shouldn't be or odd yellow feathers. If I wanted to be assured of getting a bright clear yellow an orange sun conure, I would not want to buy from someone that might have some jenday in the mix of his pairs. Similarly, if I was selling birds I though were pure sun conures and a buyer came back to me a year later with a picture of my baby looking a little hybrid like, I would not be happy with the person that sold me the breeding stock and I'd be embarassed for selling a bird that wasn't what I thought it was. I might be inclined to refund that person their money.

Nano Felle

Moving in
Real Name
Nano Felle
@karen256 ..nice share karen, thank you very much :geek::geek:
@Monica ..yesterday i have 2pairs (Sun Conure and Jenday conure) and then i try to "colony system", as you know the bird find another partner who is ready to mate..and i pity to separate them, and i try to one time, and you know the baby bird is very cute monica..
@melissasparrots ..nice explain melisa, thank you so much :)