• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun Conure Roll Call

eclectuswife

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jean Gauthier
Will try to work on getting some photos I can post on this computer...I adopted two Sun hens in June of this year. They have quite the story....I work as a caretaker at The Oasis Sanctuary in Benson, Arizona. Now, if you try to send a bird to the sanctuary, there is rather a long waiting list because we are full and normally only take about 50 birds a year, mainly little guys like Lovebirds, Budgies and Tiels if they can fly and live in the aviaries...other species, it's harder for us to find a spot unless some birds pass away or we have new areas build to house them. AND, all incoming birds are vet checked before they ever arrive at the sanctuary. Well, someone had two abandoned Suns and drove the out to the sanctuary one day as my boss, Janet, was getting off work. She could have told them we couldn't take them. Instead, she knew they had nowhere to go and took them herself to quarantine them in a back room of her own house, then tried finding an adoptee for them on Petfinder. As she got to know them, she started to fall in love with them...I birdsit for her, and also started to fall in love with them...and then I asked to adopt them. All their vet checks turned out fine, and I brought them to live at my house two months ago.

Now what I haven't told you is that they are both handicapped Suns. I decided to name them each after women in Beach Boys songs, since were my sunny summer birds. So Rhonda (from 'Help Me Rhonda') has part of her upper beak missing. She has trouble with harder pellets and large pieces of shelled nuts, but otherwise eats by herself quite well. Then there is adorable Caroline (from 'Caroline, No'). Caroline is missing a leg. But does it slow her down? No way! I have several platform perches in their cage, and she prefers to sit on those perches but she also likes to hang from the side of the cage or even perch balanced on one leg next to Rhonda. They are a little human shy yet, our vet guessed they are young birds, probably about 2 or 3 years old. Caroline is the more friendly of the two, though Rhonda will step up if she has to. Both love taking pistachio pieces from my hand. Rhonda is working on learning to fly, now that their wing clips are growing out. Caroline will fly but can't land easily with her one leg, so she tries to avoid flying. I am SO glad I adopted them both...have always loved Suns, and I'm not that noise sensitive as long as they aren't constant about it (again, they call when you come in the door, when they need to alert you, when a strange person or bird comes in the house or their room...totally reasonably yelling, in my book. Little sentinel/guard birds. And I adore how they preen each other and snuggle together in their yellow hut. Not much cuter than that! They have been very tolerant of both my Half Moon Conure and my Patagonian Conure, who they now share their room with. I will try to get a good photo of them soon to post.

FidFlock

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nikki
They sound so precious! :heart:

Can't wait to see them, they sound GORGEOUS!

Kudos to you for taking them in :hug8:

BindiWW

Walking the driveway
I love seeing all the beautiful birds! They're like bursts of sunshine! :marlenesmile:
I love sun conures but, unfortunately, they're too loud for where I live. :sad7:

Last edited:

CabbieBird

Moving in
Real Name
Susie
I have a Sun Conure named Cabbie. His picture is my avatar. I am a lousy photographer! :D

FidFlock

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nikki
I know this sounds strange, but my sun, Simba, is the quietest of our flock. Our budgie is louder, and our so-called "quiet" Blue Crown is louder. None of our birds are really loud, but we do know that Simba is the quiet one. He's only loud when we leave and when we come home. Just shows you that species stereotypes are not necessarily true ;)

Graeme

Strolling the yard
Here is Bailey, He is an awesome little bird. We were expecting something noisy but he is very quiet. He also loves to do some training and seems to really pick things up quickly.

ConureCannon7

Meeting neighbors
Bailey is very similar to Mango!

I only just got him Saturday, however, the next day he was already giving me cuddles and crawling all over me haha. Such a cutie.

image.jpg

Iuli

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Julie
I'll be getting my sun pretty soon! not sure if a boy or girl but i would love help with names of either gender. i like mango but i want to see what else i could use! sadly, i'm not too creative

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know this sounds strange, but my sun, Simba, is the quietest of our flock. Our budgie is louder, and our so-called "quiet" Blue Crown is louder. None of our birds are really loud, but we do know that Simba is the quiet one. He's only loud when we leave and when we come home. Just shows you that species stereotypes are not necessarily true ;)
Your bird is still very young. Wait a couple of years... haha. I hope for your eardrums' sake though, that he stays quiet :p

Beautiful birds, everyone!

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
What adorable Sunnies you all have! :heart:
DSC02527.JPG DSC02525.JPG DSC02526.JPG
Here a pics of my two - Cayenne my red factor on the left, Pepper my normal in center and both hanging out in 3rd.

DJ Mystina

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mystina
My beautiful Sunday baby Mambo at 8 weeks old :heart: :xflove: :heart: :xflove: :heart: Such a big difference from my last post of Mambo just 2 weeks ago! :hug8:
1958490_522798614506336_2017526104_n.jpg

rin

Meeting neighbors
We added another fid to our flock named Mango. A family was looking to re-home their sun as he wasn't getting the attention he needed due to their new baby. I am totally grateful that they put Mango's needs ahead of their own. It wasn't an easy decision for them and we try to keep them up-to-date with texts, videos and pictures.

We got Mango for my boyfriend. The first sun we re-homed (Foxy) was for him... only problem is that she picked me over him... same thing seems to be happening with Mango :hehe: not that it bothers me at all. :)

On another note... we think Mango may be a "she" and not a "he". It is just hard to think of him as a her. o_O

I will try to post a picture soon!