• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun conure laid egg.. What to do

jazden

Moving in
Real Name
john
Hi, I recently bought a pair of 3 year old sun conures. The original owner had a different hobby already so he sold me this pair. He said that they already had about 4 clutches already. So now the question.. what should i do? what vitamins do I give them? The eggs are in the nestbox and I was just told not to touch or even look at them. Do I just wait? Thank for the replies

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I generally don't let my eggs hatch and replace with dummy eggs. What are you feeding them now?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

PiPeter

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peter
Heed the advice of JLcribber. Buy the fake eggs and replace the current ones.

But, if you're absolutely determined to let the eggs hatch, my advice is to read everything you can about breeding birds. Most members in this group are going to discourage you from breeding more birds, and rightly so. However, there's a wealth of material online on the subject. Google will be your friend and your birds and their babies will thank you for doing the research.

In addition, there are so many things you'll need to consider and learn once the eggs hatch. So, be prepared. Just remember that it may not go well and you may end up heartbroken.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Absolutely if you do not know what to do John's advice is golden. Raising baby chicks has many potential heartaches. Plus you need to find good homes for all of them unless you plan on keeping the babies they have for the next few years.