• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Sun conure home alone.

sunnysara

Meeting neighbors
This is Sunny my sun conure. I got her during the pandemic while living at my parents house, I hand raised her and we spent a lot of time together since I worked from home.

About a year ago I left home, she stayed with my family for a couple months until I was able to bring her with me, we've been back together for about 6 months now, now I work 8 hours everyday and come back home for lunch at noon. When I'm home I take her out of the cage for her to train with me and spend time with me. Recently, I decided to film her while I was gone.

She does not play with her toys or even move around her cage while I'm gone. I feel so sad because I don't want her to be sad, she had a big cage, several toys and a play stand above her cage (I leave her cage open).

When I come back she comes to life and eats and starts screaming and anxious for me to grab her. I've been working on clicker training and getting her to interact with her toys, and also not reinforcing the screaming (something my family did a lot) is there anything else I can do?

Any advice? Should I be worried?
She's 4 years old.
Also, the only reason my landlord approved of her was because she's my ESA, not sure I can get another bird :( is that something I should even consider?

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Do you leave a TV on for her or play any music?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
If you get a second sun conure, you will need to keep her in a separate cage at least initially which means there’s a strong chance they will call to each other. The sound of sun conures calling to each other is not apartment friendly.
Your relationship to your sun may also change if you introduce another bird. It may not.
I personally think your bird is ok even if less than ideally set up while you’re at work as long as you spend as much quality time with him as you can. I wish you the best.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
WHen I leave a radio on, I like to use a timer so it comes on for an hour then is off awhile. I think having it on all the time is either boring or annoying.
Also check out using foraging activities so she has to work for some of her food.
Don't rely on this for food until you are sure she knows how to successfully get food this way and doesn't starve.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I haven't done that. I can try though! Does it help? And any specific kind of music?
I think it does. Silence in the wild is scary as it often means a predator is coming. So if your bird is home alone and it's quiet it might be unnerving for her. As to what kind- it really depends on the bird. Seriously. Different birds like different kinds of music. I usually leave the TV on for mine on something like Nick JR. I have friends who put Disney movies on for their birds.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
I have a camera that i can talk through if i need to. Some days i play cartoons for them on their tv. When i play music instead, i play soft rock, piano music and stuff like that.

Rebel

I think it does. Silence in the wild is scary as it often means a predator is coming. So if your bird is home alone and it's quiet it might be unnerving for her. As to what kind- it really depends on the bird. Seriously. Different birds like different kinds of music. I usually leave the TV on for mine on something like Nick JR. I have friends who put Disney movies on for their birds.
Agree. When its super quiet, every little noise startles them. Thats why even at night ill run a fan so that its not silent.

Synth

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hope
My birds love the movie Rio! My conure loves piano music, my cockatiel seems indifferent to it and just wants to chew on my phone lol.

sunnysara

Meeting neighbors
Thank you all for the suggestions. I tried music and she seems indifferent to it, continues to just sit in one perch while no one is at home. I'll try the TV idea maybe. No luck in getting her to play with toys

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Valentine likes TV, I turn to the shopping shows and because there is a lot of talking, she loves it, she gets real quiet

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Your bird may be a very thoughtful thinking kind of bird. Even though she may not "respond" to the music doesn't mean she doesn't enjoy it. As long as she is active and seems happy while you are home then I think she is fine. Also remember that most birds naturally go to sleep when the sun goes down so in order to stay up late with you she may frequently nap during the day. My Walter did that. Quiet during the day and full out activity when I got home. Because he was able to nap during the day I did not feel guilty about him staying up until 10-11 O clock at night (ok, truth be told, sometimes later when we were in college). Always provide plenty to do and rotate, tv, music, etc. Walter used to like listening to stories read aloud (we have CD's of several). I rotate what's happening for our conure. Also, sometimes you need to teach the birds how to play with the toys. Because she spends so much attention to you when you are together, she may not know how to play with the toys. Try showing her each and every toy and see if that helps. Also teach foraging toys as well.

Rebel

Your bird may be a very thoughtful thinking kind of bird
One of my cockatiels is like that. He likes his cage next to the window during the day. He’ll spend hours and hours just looking out the window. He doesn’t much care for toys either. He sure comes to life when its time to come out.