• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun Conure Care?

Budgie Babies

Meeting neighbors
I've got a new place in my room and my heart for a sun conure. It took me some time to decide if I wanted another bird, and then I was contemplating between a parrotlet or a sun conure, and I've landed on sun conure. There's a nice cage with a play area on the top that I'm going to get for a conure, and the cage has a very nice spot in my room away from any drafts and such.

For the past couple of weeks, I have been taking lots of notes and learning about sun conures, but I want to hear what people here would like to say about them.

What would be the best things to feed them? What toys do yours enjoy the most? What kind of fun things do you and your sun conure do together?

Of course I have researched the kinds of things to feed them, but, again, I'd still love to hear from you! There's a small bird store in my town that specializes in birds, and I trust them very much (I don't wish to buy from PetSmart again, as my budgies from there, which I got months and months ago, are still frightened by people). They had a sun conure that I fell in love with and wanted to buy. He kept coming up to me when I went by his cage and he would poke his beak out and let me rub his feathers. I adored him, but, unfortunately, the next day I went back he was being sent to another state, as someone had bought him.

One of the girls who works there told me that there will be plenty more sun conures to come, so I'm hoping I can find one as social and loving as that.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear what conure owners have to say!
Thanks!
:budgie::budgie9:

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Valentine is loud but I have gotten used to it. Shes also a good watchbird. If someone strange comes in her yard, she and the dog will let you know. Valentine eats Harrison's Pellets, which is in her cage all day, dehydrated veggie mix at 4 P M. She loves berries and mango is her favorite, she has her routine and I better stick with it or else :giggle: All in all, I love her so much, she is so sweet and thoughtful. Wouldn't trade her for anything, not even a new t-shirt without holes

MeganC

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
They are loud, but you get used to it and it's generally only at certain times: they see something outside, you just got home, fixing their food, you left the room without them, etc. Mine mostly play with foot toys, not hanging toys, but they love anything shred-able (vine balls, finger traps, etc.) and wood (their preference is pine or softer, usually pine as my sun is a very good chewer and softer wood is gone in minutes). As for food, I feed a very diverse diet. In the morning I give them their mash, a mixture of vegetables, fruit, and grains that I make in a big batch and freeze in daily portions. After that they get their pellet mix (currently Roudybush California, Zupreem Natural, and Pretty Bird Gold, though soon I will be adding Tops and Goldenfeast Goldn'obles), My Safe Bird Store's Bountiful Harvest, and a small amount of seed. Yuki's favorite treats are cashews and dehydrated pineapple. She is very much a velcro bird and has to be with me all the time. In the evening instead of going straight to the cage to sleep, I sit in my chair and let them nap under a blanket for a couple hours. They definitely get upset if I have to break their routine, :lol:. Sure they like to destroy my house and my stuff, but I wouldn't give them up for anything.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
I only had the sun in my house for three days now but she is extremely bonded to her cage mate a GCC. She is not loud and only makes a call if one of the other bird does. She plays and shreds things the whole day and spends a great time on preening herself or her mate.

Budgie Babies

Meeting neighbors
Valentine is loud but I have gotten used to it. Shes also a good watchbird. If someone strange comes in her yard, she and the dog will let you know. Valentine eats Harrison's Pellets, which is in her cage all day, dehydrated veggie mix at 4 P M. She loves berries and mango is her favorite, she has her routine and I better stick with it or else :giggle: All in all, I love her so much, she is so sweet and thoughtful. Wouldn't trade her for anything, not even a new t-shirt without holes
She sounds like an adorable bird! Thank you for the reply!

Budgie Babies

Meeting neighbors
They are loud, but you get used to it and it's generally only at certain times: they see something outside, you just got home, fixing their food, you left the room without them, etc. Mine mostly play with foot toys, not hanging toys, but they love anything shred-able (vine balls, finger traps, etc.) and wood (their preference is pine or softer, usually pine as my sun is a very good chewer and softer wood is gone in minutes). As for food, I feed a very diverse diet. In the morning I give them their mash, a mixture of vegetables, fruit, and grains that I make in a big batch and freeze in daily portions. After that they get their pellet mix (currently Roudybush California, Zupreem Natural, and Pretty Bird Gold, though soon I will be adding Tops and Goldenfeast Goldn'obles), My Safe Bird Store's Bountiful Harvest, and a small amount of seed. Yuki's favorite treats are cashews and dehydrated pineapple. She is very much a velcro bird and has to be with me all the time. In the evening instead of going straight to the cage to sleep, I sit in my chair and let them nap under a blanket for a couple hours. They definitely get upset if I have to break their routine, :lol:. Sure they like to destroy my house and my stuff, but I wouldn't give them up for anything.
This was very helpful! Thanks! I'm glad to hear all of the things you feed them so that I've got an even better idea of what mine may enjoy.

Budgie Babies

Meeting neighbors
I only had the sun in my house for three days now but she is extremely bonded to her cage mate a GCC. She is not loud and only makes a call if one of the other bird does. She plays and shreds things the whole day and spends a great time on preening herself or her mate.
Sounds cute! Thanks!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had my pair of suns for about 3 weeks now. They are incredibly loud. I'm working through different things to help them turn down the volume some. It's a work in progress, but it does take patience. The female is very aggressive, but I don't know if she's being protective of her mate, or angry at me for having to be held down while her leg band was cut off. We put a nest box on the cage recently and that has cut down on some of the noise. I tell them to stop screaming and make me some pretty babies.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
I've had my pair of suns for about 3 weeks now. They are incredibly loud. I'm working through different things to help them turn down the volume some. It's a work in progress, but it does take patience. The female is very aggressive, but I don't know if she's being protective of her mate, or angry at me for having to be held down while her leg band was cut off. We put a nest box on the cage recently and that has cut down on some of the noise. I tell them to stop screaming and make me some pretty babies.
Wow, how old are they? Breeding will add to the noise I guess :) . Yes, the call of a sun is a lot louder than the ones of the GCC.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are 3 years old. I visited a local breeder and when I walked past the cage where the sun were and they tried to attack me. He said it was new behavior and they most likely had eggs they were protecting. I'm guessing the noise will get worse if they start laying. At least during the day when they are in the nest box they are quiet for a few hours.

AvianCrew

Real Name
michelle
They are LOUD. When I leave the room, Yukio screams and chases after me. When I'm only a foot or so away, he screams and chases after me.

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
You can work with them to tune down the noise, yes?

I don't have a Sun Conure - I have a GCC - but "working on bringing the noise down" often means setting aside a time during the day that the birds can scream and chirp and talk and communicate. It would help if you looked up tips on how to properly set aside and allow for "Scream Time." Allowing your bird time to perform instinctual things like communication usually helps them from screaming throughout the day.
I'd also recommend that you look into "positive reinforcement training."
Good luck!

Budgie Babies

Meeting neighbors
I don't have a Sun Conure - I have a GCC - but "working on bringing the noise down" often means setting aside a time during the day that the birds can scream and chirp and talk and communicate. It would help if you looked up tips on how to properly set aside and allow for "Scream Time." Allowing your bird time to perform instinctual things like communication usually helps them from screaming throughout the day.
I'd also recommend that you look into "positive reinforcement training."
Good luck!
I've heard of that training, yes! Thank you!