• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun Conure Bonding?

OllieTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
Hi everyone! I have been looking at adopting another parrot for a while now. (Y'all know parrots are like potato chips- can't have just one!):rofl:
I currently have a very spoiled green cheek conure, but even with a huge cage and lots of toys, I know she is lonely while I'm at school. I think she would be so much happier with another parrot to "talk to"- and of course I want another conure too! I recently found a sun conure who needs a home (We are going out to meet Sunny on Friday!:cheer:). She is nine years old currently. I was wondering if she will still bond strongly to me? My green cheek is SO attached to me and my sister, and freaks out when we leave. If I'm taking Sunny from 'her person' will she be able to switch who she is bonded to? I don't expect her to love me right away, or be a replica of my clingy lil velcro bird Olive, and we will love her no matter how bonded or distant she is. I am just wondering if she can still bond as well as a bird who has had only one owner? Also, any tips for introducing the two? Sorry for the long rant! :o:
:cinnamongcc1::sun:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
My green cheek is SO attached to me and my sister, and freaks out when we leave.
That is going to be a bigger problem. Your bird in all likelihood will view this other creature as an intruder/competition. IF they get along you can't cage them together for a very long time. If ever.

OllieTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
No, I was not planning on housing the two together. I wouldn't trust a bigger sun conure beak with my tinier green cheek. Also, I am a twin, so my current conure won't get any less attention. Olive and the new sun conure won't need to share one person, they can be on each of us. Sorry if I didn't make that clear!:p

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
No, I was not planning on housing the two together. I wouldn't trust a bigger sun conure beak with my tinier green cheek. Also, I am a twin, so my current conure won't get any less attention. Olive and the new sun conure won't need to share one person, they can be on each of us. Sorry if I didn't make that clear!:p
You also misunderstood. From how you describe your existing bird it is pretty heavily human bonded. Almost certainly from being hand fed and human imprinted at a very early age. It does not see itself as a bird and it is very possible that it will not recognize this new creature as being like itself. An intruder/competition. If your bird is fine it might be the situation with the new bird.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. :)

OllieTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
That makes sense, thank you! Hopefully Olive can see the new bird as a companion during the hours I am gone at school, but if they don't become friends that's fine. :) What really matters is that the new conure and I are friends, anyways. :lol:

Robert Schulz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Robert
Not to dissuade you from doing something good, but you have anyone else living with you? If so, are they okay with the potential noise a sun conure makes? Sun conures are notorious for their frequent high pitch contact calls and screams.
As far as bonding goes, I think it really depends on how well the previous owner socialized her with other people. My three year old sun, Bobby, loves new people and is happy to receive head scratches from anyone whereas there are birds who haven't been around many people in their life making it more difficult to introduce new people and pets, though not impossible.
Bonding with a new bird, especially one who had a previous owner whom they liked, takes a lot of one on one time. To be accepted into their "flock" you really have to set aside time every day for interaction.
Also, don't count on a new bird to prevent your current bird from getting upset when you leave. They both could get upset. It's their instinct to contact call when a flock member leaves the "nest".