• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun Conure being aggressive toward my kids.

Alybri

Moving in
Real Name
Alyse
So, I've taken in a Sun Conure and he is the sweetest bird to me. That being said, he flies after my children and has bitten my 6 year old son. I also have a Green Cheek Conure and he loves my kids. I have years of experience with birds. I have clipped his wings and he doesn't get lift. He was used to ruling the roost, so to speak. He was in a house with two younger boys, another bird, and two dogs prior to being at our house. He wasn't used to being in a cage either. If anyone has any tips, I would appreciate them. I would really like for him to not bite my children. He will fly from his perch to them just to bite them. No warning behaviors ahead of time either. Thank you!

Crow lover

Sitting on the front steps
He might have had bad experience with kids before. Are you sure your kids aren't being naughty to him when you are not around? Maybe you should just let them watch you handle him for a while. Threaten them not to tease him under any circumstances. Maybe not to pay any attention to him unless you are right there. Animal control brought my sun conure to me after kids had pulled every feather on his body out and put him outside to run around naked. He doesn't hold any grudges against little people though. You might also take him and one kid at a time into a quiet dim room and let them get use to each other. If one kid causes the birds behavior to become aggressive. ...I'd question that one about teasing again.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Are they loud and running around when they are playing? Kids are so sporadic in their movements and vocal levels, it could make him fearful of them and want them gone when he is out. You can try making sure they are quiet and move slowly when they are in the room where his cage is, and they can drop his favorite treat into his food dish whenever they walk by. They can sit and read to him or play quietly by his cage so he can get used to them being around. Maybe you could also try giving him treats when he is out of his cage but ignoring them. If he ignores them and stays on his perch when they are 15' away, he gets a treat. Then after a few days, 10' etc. I would stay station training in general would be very helpful in your situation, as would distraction.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He might see you as the potential mate and the kids as potential rivals.

Alybri

Moving in
Real Name
Alyse
I've only had him for a couple of days. The house that he was in before had a three and five year old. They teased him. My kids hold our green cheek conure and know not to be jumpy or loud around the birds. I'm thinking maybe because everything is still so new, that might be why. But he only does it to the kids, so I'm trying to find ways to discourage it and to help them build a bond. My boys are six and seven. They've grown up around birds, and I tried to explain to them that birds have memory and learn who they can and can't trust. For right now I'm just not bringing him out when they're around, but I feel that that will teach him that he can only come out when they're not in the living room.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh, so since he is still so new, and is already fearful of kids, then it will just take time like you said. Your kids will have to earn his trust and show that they are not like those other kids. I would have them drop his most absolute favorite treat in his dish whenever they walk by, unless that scares him too much. They should avoid eye contact at first too.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John