• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun Conure basic help needed!!

AK89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ankitha
Hey all,
So we had a Sun conure RIO for two months now and he's all loving and adorable and lately we've got him company. We got him LOLA. However she's just 2.5 months old and Rio is about 5.5.

Since Rio is taking time to process the idea of another bird we've put them in separate cages for now. I got few questions about the both of them and I hope you'll help.
- Rio keeps biting Lola and sometimes pluck his feathers or say preening his tummy hair or his feathers and also Lolas. So it that a normal thing?
- Ever since we put Lola in the cage Lola has been doing the head bobbing sometimes and does some kind of a chuckle sound, a little long one. Is that okay? And what does that mean? I keep thinking if she's hungry so I feed her. And she eats fully and then after some time starts making that sound. And sometimes while she sleeps she does like a sneeze squeak. Don't know if that's normal either.

Can you please also tell me what I need to do and how I can get these both together and about basically everything. How I need to take care of the two of them.
Thank you

AK89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ankitha
And also if I need to put them both together, what would be the size of the cage?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It is not a good thing to allow one bird to bite the other. I would recommend separating them so that she is not hurt.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Birds can be just as jealous as people - Rio is looking at Lola as competition in his own flock. I would definitely keep them in separate cages if Rio is plucking Lola - it may be overpreening - but Lola is younger and needs your protection. You may never be able to put them both in the same cage without facing bird fights which could potentially end with someone being killed or injured severely. I can't address the noises Lola makes as my sun was a full adult when he came to us.

And birds do make noises while they're sleeping just like people do.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would separate them. Maybe put them in a space where they can see each other, but not have direct access. Once they get used to each other, then bring the cages closer. Baby steps.

Lovebirdie

Moving in
Maybe you can keep them in separate cages, and only let them out at play time. That way you can always supervise them and they could still socialize.

Hope

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hope
Is Lola weaned? It at 10 weeks old she should still be hand feeding. My 10 week old sun conure is still on 2 feedings a day. And there should have been a quarantine period of at least 2-3 weeks before introducing them. Then very slowly letting them meet. It sounds like things were very rushed.

AK89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ankitha
Well we gave Lola back. Will bring her back after a month or so once she's weaned.

AK89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ankitha
While am here can anybody please help me with the following?
- what does it mean when my Rio ( 5.5 months old guy) shakes his tail? Like a vibrate shake.
- Rio keeps plucking or say picking his chest and under wings feathers and his legs. What does it mean?

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Plucking may be left over stress of having another bird nearby. Even though the other bird is gone, Rio may not realize it and still hasn't calmed down yet. At almost 6 months it could also be molting into adult feathers. The tail shaking, I'm not sure. Could be stress related, or related to molting as well.

AK89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ankitha
Hmmmm Rio keeps twitching his head like a crazy person and keeps rubbing his ears.

Lovebirdie

Moving in
My bird does that he rattles his tail feathers when he is happy .He bites his toes but never to hard. Some birds preen the underside of their feathers and they preen their stomach if he starts to noticeably lose feathers then maybe you have something to worry about.