• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun and GCC mating

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Three days ago I got my first foster birds, about 4-5 year old female sun conure and a male GCC. They are extremely bonded. The first owner thought he had two female birds, they lived around four years with the first owner. The second home fostered them with the hope to adopt them but they are too bonded for her and she wants a bird that connects more with her. However, she tried to work with them separately and was the one figuring that they are male and female.
The two mate about two times or more a day and did not have a problem with that in the first hour they got here. I have them in a sleeping cage at night and will give them more than 12 hours of sleep. What else can or should I do? They do not have hutches or anything net like.
Any input appreciated >

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
If she lays eggs, replace them with dummy eggs.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
I will . Just hope to prevent that.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There's not much you can do. "IF" eggs are laid just replace them and let them go about their business.

If they've been together and mating like this for a long time and there hasn't been any eggs, odds are there won't be any now. If they are two males you won't see any eggs. If they are two females you will have unfertilized eggs. Males will bond/mate with other males when that's the only choice available (same for females).

You don't really know what sex they are without a DNA test

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
There's not much you can do. "IF" eggs are laid just replace them and let them go about their business.

If they've been together and mating like this for a long time and there hasn't been any eggs, odds are there won't be any now. If they are two males you won't see any eggs. If they are two females you will have unfertilized eggs. Males will bond/mate with other males when that's the only choice available (same for females).

You don't really know what sex they are without a DNA test
They have been DNA sexed, sun is female GCC is male. There have been no eggs and I actually think that she is not that into him as he is. I moved her to a different play area and she seemed happy but he screamed and called. In the cage e follows her constantly and she often moves away. However there are a lot of times when they are enjoying each other. They definitely make easy foster birds since they could care less if any human is around but it doesn't make it easy to find them a home .

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hybrids between the two often have health issues or birth defects, so definitely not recommended to allow such hybrids to occur!

Worse case scenario, house them in separate cages next to each other? And allow only supervised out time together? Otherwise, it could be separate rooms and that could be deafening on the ears!

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
Hybrids between the two often have health issues or birth defects, so definitely not recommended to allow such hybrids to occur!

Worse case scenario, house them in separate cages next to each other? And allow only supervised out time together? Otherwise, it could be separate rooms and that could be deafening on the ears!
Since they have always been together I don't think it would be good to separate the, and they definitely scream when you take one out of sight of the other. I would never let them breed, they go in a sleeping cage now too and I have not seen them mating in a couple of days. Hope Daisy becomes more independent now too, I think they both enjoy being on different play stands some times.