• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suitable breeds?

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
So...feel free to correct me here but I think a species develops naturally and is the largest group within which interbreeding produces viable offspring. The term is used in scientific taxonomy

Then there are sub-species which are subgroups below the level of a species. They can interbreed successfully with other subspecies, but usually do not (e.g. due to geographical isolation). Other terms like variety or forms may be used to indicate various groupings below the species level.

Breed is a husbandry term that refers to a population of a domestic animal that has been selectively bred for specific characteristics (so humans have purposefully intervened).

I believe the various species of parrots around the world evolved their different characteristics (apart from some colours, I suppose) naturally rather than having humans purposely manipulate desired characteristics through breeding (like they have done in dogs).

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Thank you Karen and Lori for the information. Species and sub-species I know are taxonomy terms from studying biology. But breed I never thought about where that comes from. I am going to say the intervention of humans in the production of new looks and purpose of domestic animals is what produces a breed. Sound about right?

Sub-species to me are the easiest ways to see evolution in action; birds which look and act so much alike that only small differences in color or such make them different. Our indiscriminate interbreeding of different sub-species of Senegal parrots has produced a wide range of colors and types of breast markings. We have so blurred the distinctive sub-species they no longer can breed specific sub-species for true genetics of that species.

I just realized I hijacked this thread. Sorry. Back to welcoming and saying hi, OK?

:omg:
:welcomeflag:

Last edited: