1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suitable breeds?

Discussion in 'Bird Boulevard' started by Emilyjakubac, 10/8/17.

1. Emilyjakubac

Emilyjakubac Checking out the neighborhood

Hi, new here. I'm looking for some advice. I have owned exclusively cockatiels, I am down to one and she is getting quite up there in years. She is healthy but I know that when she eventually passes I will want another bird and I would like to try something new. The cockatiels are fun but my family often complains of the noise level. Granted, the one i have now is VERY vocal but i would like to hear about a few birds that are a little more easy on the ears. I don't have experience with other birds so any advice would be great.

2. Zoepr143

Zoepr143 Meeting neighbors

Zoë
    Parrotlets might be an option for you, they are very cuddly (if you train them correctly) and i’ve read that they only have loud chirps when they really really need/want something. They do make noise all the time but those are just little chirps here and there. Then there are also finches and such

Before buying one i do suggest looking at more pro’s and con’s since I haven’t owned a parrotlet myself. (So idk a lot about them)

Last edited: 10/8/17
  3. Motherof'tiels

Motherof'tiels Strolling the yard

You want a bird thats the same size as a cockatiel. If not one can bully the other.

Mizzely and Zoepr143 like this.
  4. Emmilyy

Emmilyy Biking along the boulevard Avenue Veteran

Emily
    There's nothing wrong with having birds of different sizes in the same house. You should never house two different species together regardless. If you told most members here that they couldn't have more than one sized bird I'm sure there would be many in trouble.

Laurul Feather Cat and cosmolove like this.
  5. cosmolove

cosmolove Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Erica (:
    I agree, I do not believe the same size bird is necessary but I also believe beak size needs to be considered if you plan to have these two birds out together at any point in time.

Zoepr143 likes this.
  6. javi

javi Sprinting down the street Avenue Veteran

JAVI
    Look into linnies also. They make a nice warble.

7. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    There's no such thing as a quiet bird of any "species". A quiet bird is usually a sick bird.

8. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Michelle
    I think it's pretty hard to find a bird that's quieter than a cockatiel...... A bourke maybe?

Hankmacaw and Mizzely like this.
  9. HolliDaze

HolliDaze Strolling the yard

Yeah, cockatiels are pretty quiet. From my experience, parakeets are even more vocal. I agree with everyone else, a parrotlet would likely be best. OP said they plan on getting this new bird after the passing of their cockatiel, so bullying won t be an issue.

Tiel Feathers likes this.
  10. karen256

karen256 Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

If you like the gentle cockatiel personality, then birds to consider might be bourke's (small budgie-sized parakeets) or the coral-billed parakeets (a very overlooked group of Australian parakeets including princess parakeets and rock pebblers).
    They are all often raised as aviary birds, so if you get one, be sure it's been handfed or tamed, though. They are not very common as pets, but have gentle personalities and tend to be quiet birds.

If you don't mind a little bit more outgoing, playful, and sometimes nippy bird, then greencheek conures and other Pyrrhura conures tend to be relatively quiet birds. As with most birds, individuals can vary in their volume, but on average they are supposed to be a little quieter than cockatiels. Mine is very quiet and really only screams when someone's doing dishes.

11. finchly

finchly Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    I agree with @karen256 , that's a great list. My parrotlets and pionus are also quieter than my tiels. And of course my favorite, Gouldian finches.

TikiMyn likes this.
  12. javi

JAVI
    I love my 3 Pi's and they are in general very quiet calm birds. They do have volume though when they want to.
    I do have to agree about the princess of wales. Very cool birds that make a cool noise.

TikiMyn likes this.
  13. Fritzgerald16

Fritzgerald16 Sprinting down the street

Jenelle
    I agree. The only way to find a truly "quiet bird" is get one from a rescue that is already established as a "quieter bird". My Fritz is very quiet for a macaw, but he is older and already came that way. That being said he still has his times where he makes the windows rattle. All birds make noise, it's just determining the noise level and type of noise that bothers you and your family. I will never own a quaker because I cannot stand the squawk they make, but I can handle the obnoxious noises of macaws.
    If and when you are ready I suggest taking your family to a bird store or rescue and having them listen to the different noises and see who/what is most agreeable to everyone's ears :) Also, some of your questions may answer themselves, a bird might just pick you!!

14. datlamb

datlamb Walking the driveway

have you considered pigeons?i hear they can be lovely, cuddly companions and are relatively quiet!
    i haven't researched much into them but here are some blogs about pigeons as pets

TikiMyn and Fritzgerald16 like this.
  15. javi

JAVI
    I had a dove that was more cuddly than a cockatoo. I adopted her from rescue because she was constantly overlooked by people wanting parrots. She would beg to get out of cage and fly to me and just cuddle for long periods of time. Plus no noise and no biting. I get tempted every so often when I see doves and pigeons.

16. Laurul Feather Cat

Laurul Feather Cat Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Lois
    The quietest birds I ever met are actually chickens. If you make sure you do not get a rooster, they are almost silent. But I agree, cockatiels are one of the quietest species of parrots out there. I adore singing birds, and I love the cockatiel cocks when they try and out sing one another. My quietest bird is my hen Senegal parrot. Once a day she does a good yell to participate with the flock's nightly panic and scream fest (which lasts all of about five minutes). My noisiest bird is my GCC, Bocca. He is also the one that starts the panic fly and yell every night with his alarm calling.

Tiel Feathers likes this.
  17. Lwalker

Lwalker Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

Lori
    It is a gamble with any bird. My GCCs are really quiet most of the time. When they flock call it is loud but it comes in short bursts. My male Tiel never shut up! He whistled and squawked all day and really turned it up whenever I was on the phone! He learned only one tune and whistled it everyday, all day for 17 years. :bash:But seriously, I loved the little squawker.

18. Featheredfuffs

Featheredfuffs Walking the driveway

Pearl
    Depends on the chicken breed... I chose one of the louder breeds (Wyandottes) and oh my gosh are they LOUD!!! Louder than my little canary wing parakeet (whose closest relative is the Quaker, and though a little quieter, they love to yell), and when the chickens get annoyed at me if I'm just a few minutes behind schedule and don't let them out of my coop, I have angry neighbors. And I don't have a rooster...

Sussex's and silkies are very quiet and great pets!

I second a dove. I met some at a rescue and they seemed so sweet.

Bourkies or finches, possibly? It's a lot of work getting a finch hand tamed, but worth it!

Laurul Feather Cat likes this.
  19. Laurul Feather Cat

Laurul Feather Cat Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Lois
    Emily, just so someone does not poke fun at you in the future, there are no "breeds" when it comes to birds. Dogs have breeds because the basic dog genetic form (the wolf-like breeds) has been mangled so badly by humans and now result in physical forms which look unrelated to one another yet all remain "dog". In birds and especially in parrots, there are species and each bird species has a specific name, sometimes highlighting a special trait, sometimes just showing a type of bird. One way to see this is that all Amazon birds are in the same species, but named for different color characteristics; ie" yellow naped, red crowned, blue front, etc. But they are all Amazons. Even when the "normal" genetics of an Amazon is so changed, say by switching their normal green pigment to blue, they are still Amazons and also referred to as blue Amazons. Poicephalus birds are my favorites, the Senegals, Red-Bellied, Brown Necked, Meyers, etc... So beautiful, yet so distinct from one another.

Just a little biology information on the naming of birds and so you don't use the word breed when you refer to birds. Always use the word species. No reason to leave you ignorant of the faux pas (I just know is misspelled the French!) and allow someone to hurt your feelings later. (And, thank you John for being nice to her with your subtle correction. I really appreciate your restraint.)

Crap, I just realized, chickens have breeds! Dang. Well, as far as I know there are no breeds in parrots yet recognized. Hummmm... What causes breeds to be recognized in a species? Anyone with that information on here?

Featheredfuffs and Lady Jane like this.
  20. karen256

karen256 Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

The only parrots with different breeds would be budgies, with there being American and English budgies. And there are breeds of most other domesticated birds like canaries, chickens, ducks, ect.

Laurul Feather Cat likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)