• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suggestions?

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
For a while I've been wanting to make my birds a simple foraging mat out of a grass mat. I saw this idea on a website a while ago and I honestly fell in love with the idea! With Budgies being ground foragers, I'm sure my two boys would love a toy like this.

So the idea is simple. Take a grass mat, attach it to a safe plastic tray, sprinkle seed and treats on it, getting the treats stuck in between the fake pieces of grass, give it to the birdies, and ta-da! Happy birds!

However, my dad and I have tried so many times to look for a grass mat, and we can't find any. So now I think we're going to have to order one. But I want to be super careful when choosing one, I want it to be safe. So does anyone know of any grass mats they've used for a similar toy that is safe?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I have several grass mats and they are different Brands too. My birds don’t chew them, do you think yours would? If not, I think they Will all be fine:) This is a picture of my current ones on top of my closet:
image.jpg

Edit: I didn’t put them in my room right away, I remember they had a little bit of a ‘plastic’ smell to them. When I put them in my room they didn’t anymore, so you might have to wash them a few times to get that smell of.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I have several grass mats and they are different Brands too. My birds don’t chew them, do you think yours would? If not, I think they Will all be fine:) This is a picture of my current ones on top of my closet:
View attachment 269784

Edit: I didn’t put them in my room right away, I remember they had a little bit of a ‘plastic’ smell to them. When I put them in my room they didn’t anymore, so you might have to wash them a few times to get that smell of.
My birds are not big chewers so I don't think it'd be a problem. Thanks for the reply and warning on the plastic smell. :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My birds are not big chewers so I don't think it'd be a problem. Thanks for the reply and warning on the plastic smell. :)
Your welcome! Henkie and Fëanor really love it, I think Nico and Skittles Will too:D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder