• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suggestions PLEASE - long...

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I'm hoping to get ideas on what to try. I know it may not work, but I have to try right? I will be attempting to have my 3 GCC's get along. I won't really try until my youngest is over his skin irritation issue so he's in a better mood.:lol:

About a year ago, we were going to adopt another GCC, had 2 at the time. Heard how 3 wasn't a good idea but felt for the little guy and tried anyway. Within 2 hours and not even in sight of each other, my youngest started attacking my YSGCC...so we took the new adoptee back. We visited him every day for a couple months and decided to try again - this time I also went on Craigslist and found yet another that needed a home, so we brought home 2 new birds in the same day. The original 2 didn't fight this time,:cantwait: they had the back room to themselves and when they came out to the front room the 2 new ones were put away or had at least 4 feet between them.

My oldest passed on Easter. We don't want to get another bird. I'd like ANY ideas on having 3 get along. I realize it may not be possible and I don't expect love, no fighting is the goal.

I've left the back room as it was so Buey's would still have a sense of his previous life. He has it to his self after work and at night. The other 2 are still in the front room, but now Buey has a cage out there for during the day while we're at work. That way they can all start to "talk" and get to know each other.

Buey - Turquoise GCC, 5 years, claimed Mom as his but wants Dad time too- he was close to Bailey (the one that passed).
Halen - Pineapple GCC 6 or 7 years, claimed Mom too - was an only bird before, don't think he knows he's a bird, won't fly unless he's scared
Zip - Normal GCC 12 years, claimed Dad, think he wants to be an only bird.

Problems:

1. Buey & Zip. Sometimes Buey gets past me and flies to the front where Zip is. They see each other and start at each other with beaks open. Buey also has hung to Zips cage and they fight through the bars. I've been told I should let them "work out the pecking order", but Buey holds on to other birds legs so they can't get away!
2. Halen is usually playing and doesn't really notice others, but he doesn't want to share me when he's with me. Buey never wants to share me whether he's on me or not. We know this from the displays and bites my husband gets when he tried to touch me when they are with me.
3. There isn't really a neutral space to "introduce" them. They all own the house, except Buey is the only one in the bedroom.

Zip and Halen can be out at the same time. Halen has claimed the play area as his and will argue with Zip when he come too close... but lets him eat the food from his cage:headsmack:. That's what I want to have Buey added to, everyone hanging out in the same space with no blood shed.

Any ideas on what to try...or Not to do? I'm trying to get a sense of life without Bailey and really want to know if separated time out has to be part of it. :sad5: I'm over protective of all of them so I'm kinda scared to try this, but I figure you all can give me tips & tricks????

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Sometimes this process can take years. I kid you not. I have zones...the left side of the room in the center gets along okay but let any of that side land across the room and it's on. You'll just have to work with them that their spots belong to whoever you assign it to.

(Left zone)Zephyr is a butt head to all but Jewel. However, he won't take on Amada or Kari but Julip who shares their cage is fair game. Kari tries to keep an eye out for her or I do. Boober hangs with me for the most part and is afraid of Zephyr...but Boober and Amada will sometimes get into a bicker match. It isn't as intense as Boober and Maui who hate each other. But I still have to split them up although easier to do. Tosh just meanders around and really doesn't bother anyone and will leave if beaked.

(Right zone) Zia who hated all birds has finally been won over by Maui...I think this happened because I had to switch cages and she is in a double flight with divider. Bitty is with Maui during the day on the other side. He's very skittish but Maui also wooed him. She likes older birds. Although I'm having a bit of a situation there because Maui wants to be with Zia too but Zia bullies Bitty...Zia has a little plucking going one (she usually does when stressed)...but Bitty has a couple spots on his head where feathers are missing. Sooo...I'm going to have to think about this grouping.

(Far wall netted zone) Rocco...that boy cannot resist jumping someone somewhere. Then he gets all mopey if someone thumps him. But he isn't willing to take on Carlton and Giggie. Zephyr bit Giggies leg once and I had months of healing and trying to chew the leg off etc so I just don't take a chance anymore. She's kind of delicate and one injury can cause her to mutilate.

And now Jewel, my shameless hussy who loves boys, is trying to woo Tuck again. I had to find another girl for Tuck because he lost his mind one day and chewed a hole in his leg. But anyway, it's flipping Zephyr out who has decided he must kill Happy the biggest conure who could eat him. Another net...

Don't let them beak it out. Serious damage can and will happen even though the beaks are similar sizes. If you intervene on a fight, make sure you place a towel between them. They guard the toes and other areas when fighting and if you leave one open, the other will take advantage. That's how Boober bit Maui's wing pit and fractured her wing. I went to grab Maui but didn't have her completely blocked. I have a laser light for Zephyr when he zips somewhere he isn't supposed to be and I can't get there fast enough. I don't laser light him but rather dot the spot he's heading for...it's a negative reinforcement that others wouldn't recommend.

If I were to switch everyone's cages around, switch room sides etc...war would break out big time. I guess long story short? Nets and divisions. Since you have three, @Monicas training would help. Heck it would help me...

And they are always changing! If the little buggers aren't being eggie and sick on me, they are creating drama! But I must obviously enjoy it. Isn't there some saying about gluttony?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I'm so sorry for your loss...

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Thank you so much for the information, was hoping the hear from you:). I do have window sheers to separate the rooms. I'm just scared to try to let them out together even though I know it will never happen if I don't try. When Bailey was still here they were all together a few times, but Buey always took his cues from Bailey, now that he's not here Buey is very jumpy...I think I need to work on his confidence.