• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suggestions on rehoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I cringe to even bring this up but it might be a reality have to face. When I brought my fids into my life it was with all intention of being their forever home but I guess as soon as one feels they have life figured out thats when the universe has other ideas. This entire year I have been traveling 4 hours away and staying 2 weekas then coming home 2 weeks to help my mother with her chemo. My fids seem to travel well but I am limited in how much attention I can give. My mom is 90 and requires a lot of attention. Now I found out my sister is in late stage liver disease caused by her anti seizure medication...I will also end up being her "care" person. This situation will only get more dire as time goes on. As far as Doby is concerned I commited to contacting his previous home if I ever needed to give him up. I really don't think that environment is best for him, there are reasons they gave him up and they still exist. If they leave it up to me to find another home I would also make that a condition, just to ensure he is taken care of and not end up abused or a breeder bird. I have that same worry about my IRN and GCC. The marvelous Parrot rescue that was here closed recently and moved to Florida. I am putting this out there to you guys so you are aware I have just stuck my toe in "rehome" water. I am in the Birmingham, Al area

Last edited:

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Janice,

What species of bird is Doby? An ecelctus?

I’m in Alabama. Just went through my father having chemo last year...it’s a very rough process and so hard on the caregiver.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Yes he is. Kiwi is an IRN and Nelson a GCC

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry about your mom and sister, and that your thinking of rehoming your fids. What a difficult time with difficult decisions, I wish you strength and peace.
:sadhug2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about your sister and your mother. Hope you will be able to figure out something so you don't have to rehome your birds. Maybe you can have someone temporarily watch them for you.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Janice,

Talked to husband and we would like to take all 3 to keep them together if you do decide to rehome.
I’m active here and have an amazon, macaw, lorikeet and african grey.

I’m a stay at home mom and I am home with the birds everyday. If you need someone you can always pm me. We are about 3 hours away.

They would have a forever home here.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

What about fostering.... even long term...

I am in PA, but seriously, think about it and PM me. What you are doing is wonderful and supportive for your family, losing your babies forever over helping your family should not be a choice you are forced to make...

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Thank you so much Kate. The first thing I have to do is ponder this decision to make sure its the best for all. Then, I have to contact Doby's former parronts to let them know. They may want him back or they might trust me to make the decision. They have small children and dogs, Doby is a plucker and I think it stemmed from being a very emotional guy that needs a quiet space with lots of attention. He is nervous around small children (you may want to consider that) and will scream if they run through the house. I have small grandchildren and always end up having to put Doby in a cage in the office when the kids come to visit for a few hours. Otherwise he and the other birds are only in cages at night or when I have to go out. All 3 are healthy and would not need to be quarantined because they have not been around other birds. They are routinely vet checked and are due to have another next week. The vet has done blood work on Doby and has determined there is nothing physically wrong with him and the plucking was anxiety driven which now is a difficult to break habit. He is about 14 yrs old.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
What about fostering.... even long term...

I am in PA, but seriously, think about it and PM me. What you are doing is wonderful and supportive for your family, losing your babies forever over helping your family should not be a choice you are forced to make...
Jen, the tragedy is that it will only get worse. Mom is 90 and even if she survives the cancer she will need a lot of care and my sis will not be "getting" better either. Thats a heart breaker. I would rather find my fids a loving caring home instead of a temporary one where I am waiting on people to pass before I get them back. I want them to find their last home but as in this case, you never know when something will happen...this can happen to anyone. I just want someone who takes having a companion brd seriously and not oe of those people who thinks they are toys until they realize how much work is involved and the novelty wears off.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I posted this before but in case you had not seen what a character Nelson is here it is again. Such a show off..see how he makes sure I am watching him after he pushes his box off. He will do that all day long making me pick it up (like a baby)

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Jen, the tragedy is that it will only get worse. Mom is 90 and even if she survives the cancer she will need a lot of care and my sis will not be "getting" better either. Thats a heart breaker. I would rather find my fids a loving caring home instead of a temporary one where I am waiting on people to pass before I get them back. I want them to find their last home but as in this case, you never know when something will happen...this can happen to anyone. I just want someone who takes having a companion brd seriously and not oe of those people who thinks they are toys until they realize how much work is involved and the novelty wears off.

I am the Adoption Coordinator for a large parrot rescue, last thing I would suggest is to reckless hand them off to anyone who says, oh look, pretty bird... But, I can personally attest there are those who have helped for literally years while someone got their life back together after dealing with rehab, one person who lost their home due to Hurricane Sandy and their birds stayed for couple years, guy who was deployed.

But I understand if your option and preference is permanent placement.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Oh Jen I would not think you would suggest that at all, I've read you way too much on here to even think that : )

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Oh Jen I would not think you would suggest that at all, I've read you way too much on here to even think that : )

I hope you find the perfect family and maybe even an AA family member so you can love from afar....

Hugs to you for all you are doing for your family.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Janice,

My kids are 7 and 8. We have had birds since before they were born. They know how to respect the birds spaces (actually have no interests in them whatsoever).

Most of my birds are cage free during the day, in fact, Walter lives cage free (he can’t fly due to snipping his feathers).

My offer still stands whether it be months or years from now-or if it’s only one or two.

I could drive to meet you when/if the time comes-in a public place of course.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I wish you were closer to IL.... we would take Dobey in a heartbeat! I'm so sorry you're going through this :(

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I am so sorry for you all.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Very difficult situation for sure. Sometimes the outcome can be better than we expect, though. So here's to good news in any way, shape, or form! Hopefully all will work out in the end. Sending positive vibes from PA!

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Thanks Kate, you are very kind. I will write more when I get my head together about this. I wanted to put this out to the Avenue community to see what people suggested. I don't want to make a decision I will regret, I want the best for my guys and my little girl. I will be in touch.

artgeek09

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
Janice, so sorry your family is going through so much. I'm in the Montgomery area and am familiar with the rescue who moved to Florida. It's a shame, they did fantastic work. Prayers for yourself and family.

Status
Not open for further replies.