• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suggestions for companion bird?

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are doing a great job getting ready! Your baby will be a lucky bird, whomever you decide on!

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
I second everyone saying a cockatiel :)

I also want to point out real quick that bird shows/bird marts/bird expos are more than likely filled with diseases. I have been to the Orlando Bird Expo and the 90% of the breeders there were absolutely awful, having birds there that were clearly sick, malnourished, and they had injuries. Not to mention they were absolutely clueless and could care less if the people taking the birds home were going to take the proper care of them or not. All they care about was $$$$$$. I had a video about this a little bit ago documenting my experience.

Just beware of the Bird Expos.

Freia

Moving in
Mizzely - thanks so much for your honest thoughts on Quakers! Out of curiosity, which species would you go for if you could do it all again? :)
I do have some v strong clear plastic, if cut to size around the lower area of the cage it could protect tiny fingers, but there may well be similar characteristics that don’t make a Quaker the best fit for a house with a young child! Thank you for the links!

Dona - thanks for the encouragement! :D

MahaSarah - thanks for the tip, especially about diseases. As much as I adored the little ring neck, unfortunately it was at a pet shop. I wasn’t impressed by the conditions there, and didn’t want to hand them money for the bird as that encourages and finances the whole cycle. I would rather wait until I find a reputable breeder or rescue. I’ll always wonder where the little bird ended up though and really hope it finds a lovely home :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
While I would adore a mini macaw again, I worry about them with a small child (mine is almost 4). So taking into consideration that as well as just my experiences, I would say my top choices would be:

Cockatiel
Bourke
Lineolated parakeet

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
[QUOTE="Mizzely, post: 2871014, member: 4252" as just my experiences, I would say my top choices would be:

Cockatiel
Bourke
Lineolated parakeet

[/QUOTE]

I have an almost 6 month old Linnie. I'm not sure you would consider a bird that small, but I love my Linnie! She's such a parrot in a teeny package. It makes me laugh every time I think about all that personality and how she only weighs 1 1/2 ounces. As far as kids go, I have grandchildren and Gigi is very interested in them. She comes to the area of the cage that is closest to them. With my permission, they carefully put their fingers in her cage and she rubs her beak and cheeks against them. I haven't taken her out of the cage when they visit. I'm just not sure it's a good idea. She's so little and gets freaked out by quick movements/strange things and flies. I'm afraid she would get stepped on by mistake. It might be easier if you are just dealing with 1 or 2 kids. I have 4 and they are all here together.

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Also, if you are really considering a quaker, make sure it's legal in your state. I live in Pennsylvania, and they are illegal to own here.
I have a 3 year old and a baby due in a few weeks. My house is full of activity. We have a nanday conure, lovebird, white capped pionus, and a rose breasted cockatoo. My daughter was taught not to touch the birds, and she does listen. She's at the age where we'll allow her to hold one supervised, but she gets too nervous. When she was born, I also had a hahn's macaw. I would never have let him near her, as he was a biter. But that's an individual issue.
Our most fun bird to watch is our lovebird. He's got a HUGE personality. Close second is the cockatoo, but he's a bit bigger than what it sounds like you're looking for. By far the most gentle is the pionus. She is sweet and content to just sit. She hasn't been home long, but we've had her since May. I'd trust her with the kids before any of my other birds. Again, this is an individual basis as they are all so different, bird to bird, not just species to species.

My nanday is 11 years old, and he's LOUD. I wouldn't recommend him, but as he gets older, he's becoming better around children, too. He keeps to himself but does dance and beat box with my daughter.